Nomination Instructions & Criteria
Purpose of the Awards
The Grace Evelyn Simpson Reeves awards recognize SickKids nurses for demonstrated excellence in nursing practice, education, leadership, research or innovation. Winners will receive $1,000 towards a professional development opportunity of their choice.
The Maria Györössy-Csepreghy Kluge award recognizes SickKids nurses for excellence in Infant and Neonatal nursing. This award is open to any nurse who has worked at SickKids for five or more years and is enrolled in an undergraduate, graduate or continuing education program. Winners will receive $3,000 to be used towards tuition fees. The Maria Györössy-Csepreghy Kluge award is a self-nomination process. Please read the instructions carefully.
An individual nurse or a team (including interprofessional members) may be nominated for an award. Nominations can be submitted by any member of the SickKids staff, a patient/family, or a student who has worked closely with the candidate. Nurses are not eligible for an award if they have received an award in the same category within the last three years.
Instructions to Nominators
- Your nomination must describe how the candidate meets all of the criteria listed for the specific award. You have a maximum of 750 words.
- Provide specific examples of how the candidate has demonstrated his/her ability to meet the criteria for the award.
- Each nomination is scored based on the description of how the criteria for the award has been met. Equal weight is given to each criterion listed for the award.
- Only the information provided in your nomination will be reviewed by the Selection committee. Any additional materials, such as letters of support, will not be reviewed.
- Nomination forms must be submitted online.
- The Grace Evelyn Simpson Reeves Award online form is located at http://www.sickkids.ca/Nursing/Nursing-Excellence/Nursing-Nomination-Form.html
- The Maria Györössy-Csepreghy Kluge Award online form is located here
- Since changes cannot be saved on the online form, we suggest that you prepare your nomination in a Word document until you have a final draft ready for submission.
- Once you have prepared your nomination as a word document, you may copy the content into the online form for submission.
- You may enter information about the candidate and nominator (name, department, contact information, etc.) directly into the online nomination form.
- You will be sent an email confirming receipt of the nomination you have submitted.
- Provide examples of how the criteria has been met to strengthen a nomination.
- Other members of the interprofessional team (e.g. APNs, Advanced Nursing Practice Educators, Clinical Managers, Physicians, parents, etc.) can assist you with a nomination by providing additional examples, editing, etc.
- To ensure that you address all criteria listed for the award, consider using the criteria for the award as subheadings for your submission
- If you have any further questions regarding the Nursing Excellence Awards, please contact: Jessica Kennedy, at ext. 208300 or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Nursing Excellence Awards Nomination Criteria
GRACE EVELYN SIMPSON REEVES Awards
Nursing Practice Award (Open to Individuals)
This award is open to all individual SickKids nurses who demonstrate outstanding achievement in the following:
- Commitment to child and family-centred care
- Contribution to a specific area of clinical practice
- Embracing change as an opportunity for professional growth and learning
- Providing leadership to others with respect to issues and trends in nursing practice
- Advancing the nursing organization’s goals and objectives
Nursing Research Award (Open to Individuals)
This award is open to all SickKids nurses who are currently engaged in research. The award will be presented to the nurse who demonstrates the value of nursing in the research context by:
- Advancing practice through participation in research
- Acting as a role model and being recognized as a resource regarding the research process
- Participating in knowledge translation activities to share research findings and support best practices
- Pursuing opportunities to enhance knowledge of self and others related to research
Nursing Leadership Award (Open to Individuals)
This award is open to all SickKids nurses who exemplify leadership in nursing (e.g. in clinical care, projects and/or special initiatives, management, etc). The award will be given to the nurse who:
- Provides leadership in changing the culture of health care delivery
- Facilitates excellence in child and family-centred care
- Demonstrates a commitment to staff development and professional practice
- Acts as a change agent to develop strategies to advance the organization's goals and objectives
Advanced Practice Nursing Award (Open to Individuals)
This award is open to all SickKids nurses who demonstrate excellence in the role of Clinical Nurse Specialist or Nurse Practitioner. The award will be presented to the nurse who:
- Advances professional nursing practice
- Provides exceptional leadership in creatively managing complex patients and families
- Develops creative and innovative strategies to incorporate and promote research-based practice
- Is highly regarded as a role model and mentor to peers internal and external to SickKids
- Demonstrates proactive leadership as a change agent to advance the organization's goals and objectives
Nursing Team Award (Open to Teams)
This award is open to a team of nurses (and may include specific interprofessional members) who demonstrate an exceptional group effort in the advancement of nursing. All members of the team must demonstrate excellence in their roles and contribute to the outcomes of the team.
- Demonstrate their commitment to child and family-centred care
- Demonstrate excellence in functioning as a team
- Contribute to the development of others within and outside of the team
- Contribute to strengthening clinical practice and improving patient care
- Develop creative and innovative strategies to advance the organization's goals and objectives
Nursing Education Award (Open to Individual)
This award is open to all SickKids nurses (e.g. Advanced Nursing Practice Educator, Preceptor, Clinical Support Nurse, Clinical Orientation Support Nurse, Staff Nurse, Informatics Nurse, etc) who demonstrate excellence in education of learners, which can include staff, students, patients and/or families . The award will be given to the nurse who:
- Creatively develops and/or delivers educational programs and other opportunities that meet the needs of learners
- Collaboratively integrates research, education, and practice
- Contributes to clinical and professional expertise
- Role models a commitment to professional development and continuous learning
Nursing Innovation Award (Open to Individuals and Teams)
This award is open to all SickKids nurses who demonstrate excellence in innovation (e.g., informatics, technology, quality, patient safety, etc). The award will be presented to a nurse(s) who:
- Makes a significant contribution working on initiatives, frequently behind the scenes, that support the advancement of nursing practice and/or patient care practices and processes, either directly or indirectly
- Contributes to professional learning and expertise in a particular aspect of nursing
- Advances the organization's goals and objectives
- Demonstrates a leadership role in managing departmental/organizational change related to a specific area of practice/workflow
- Demonstrates critical thinking and problem-solving skills to guide evidence-based decisions related to a specific area of practice/workflow
Career Achievement Award (Open to Individuals)
This award is open to all SickKids nurses, in any role, who have been part of the organization for 15 years or more. The award will be presented to the nurse who exemplifies excellence in the following:
- Makes a significant contribution in supporting the advancement of nursing practice at SickKids
- Demonstrates a commitment to child and family-centred care, within interprofessional framework
- Influences the development, growth, and learning of current and future nurses
- Regarded by nursing peers as a role model
MARIA GYÖRÖSSY-CSEPREGHY KLUGE AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE IN INFANT & NEONATAL CARE
This award is open to all SickKids nurses who work with infants and neonates, have worked at SickKids for 5 years or more and are currently enrolled in an undergraduate, graduate or continuing education program. Please indicate which program the candidate is currently enrolled in and when the candidate expects to complete it. The award will be presented to the nurse who:
- Demonstrates excellence in leadership in the area of infant and neonatal care
- Acts as a mentor to others
- Exhibits outstanding nursing practice
Note: This award is a self-nomination process. Please read the instructions carefully.
If you have any further questions regarding the Nursing Excellence Awards, please contact: