Appointment booking policies:
By online only:
- cell sorting appointments
- analytical flow cytometers
- automated magnetic cell separators and
- data analysis computers
To book appointments, you must be registered with the facility and have a valid password. Please click here to register as a client.
To book analytical flow cytometers, the Sony SH800 cell sorter, or the automated magnetic cell separator, you must be trained first by FMCF staff. See below for specific booking policies pertaining to analytical cytometers and sort appointments.
See below for specific booking policies pertaining to analytical cytometers and sort appointments.
Registered clients at the following institutions should have access to our online booking system: TMDT, SickKids, PMH,TGH, OCI/PMH, U of T/Medical Sciences Building (MSB), and Mount Sinai Hospital
Please email the Facility Manager () if you cannot access our server from one of these locations.
By email only:
- consultation appointments
- Helios mass cytometer acquisition
- analytical flow cytometry (operator assisted)
- Data analysis service
Booking policies for analytical cytometers (unassisted) and user-operated cell sorter:
- Appointments can be booked no more than four weeks in advance and up to one minute in advance of the start time. Use without a previous booking online will result in an administration fee of $100. Repeat offenders may have their user privileges suspended.
- In general, a single appointment will be limited to 4 hours and must include time for cleaning and any applicable QC procedure.
- Fees will be determined by the booked time as well as any additional time used (by the minute) according to the instrument log. It is very important to choose “Log off,” rather than simply quitting or closing Diva, at the end of your appointment. If you forget to log off you will be charged for the extra time.
- Users may be permitted to exceed their booked time if the instrument has not been booked by someone else, but will be charged the normal rate for the extra time used.
- We allow a 15 minute "grace period" where users who are more than 15 minutes late may have their appointments cancelled or given to another user without notification unless they call FMCF staff to inform them when they will arrive. Latecomers’ appointments will end promptly at the scheduled time if there is an appointment booked after them.
- You may allow someone else to use your reservation time, but you MUST change the reservation in the online booking system. If you wish to make this change after the cancellation deadline has passed (see below), you MUST inform the FMCF manager by email otherwise both users will be charged for the same reservation time.
- You may shift your appointment to an available earlier or later time on the same day. If you make this change after the cancellation deadline has passed, you must make the new booking online FIRST and then inform the FMCF manager by email that you shifted your appointment so she can cancel the old booking. Otherwise you will be charged for both bookings. You must record your name on the printed schedule for the instrument for the new appointment and cross your name out and write "cancelled" next to your old appointment. The daily schedule for each analyzer is printed at 10 a.m. This will ensure that the instrument does not get left on unnecessarily and allows other users to use the instrument.
- If you're booking an appointment on the same day that you're using the instrument, you must book online FIRST, then write your name on the schedule after it has been printed. The schedule is printed daily at 10 a.m.
- Users may log on to the instrument computers for up to 15 minutes without being charged for the purpose of transferring data only. Instrument computers should NOT be used for off-line data analysis. For this purpose, the FMCF has data analysis computers that can be reserved in the online reservation system.
- Appointments may be cancelled 24 or more working hours in advance without penalty and this can be done online. This does not include weekends and holidays.
- Users cancelling appointments less than 24 hours in advance will be billed for their appointments. In addition, you must cross out your name out and write "cancelled" beside your name on the printed daily schedule for the instrument that is printed at 10 a.m. daily Monday to Friday. This will ensure that the instrument does not get left on unnecessarily and allows other users to use the cancelled time. Failure to do this may result in an administrative charge.
Cancellation policy for operator assisted analytical Flow instruments:
- Appointments may be cancelled by email 24 or more working hours in advance without penalty. This does not include weekends and holidays.
- Users cancelling appointments less than 24 hours in advance will be billed for their appointments.
Cancellation policy for operator assisted analytical Helios instrument:
- Appointments may be cancelled by email one (1) week (five business days) or more in advance without penalty.
- Users cancelling appointments less than one (1) week in advance will be billed for their appointments.
Booking policies for sort appointments:
- Sort appointments can be booked no more than four weeks in advance. When booking appointments less than 24 hours in advance you must confirm your appointment with the sort operator directly.
- Cell sorting appointments may be a minimum of one hour and a maximum of seven hours in length and must include a minimum of 15 minutes of set-up time plus 15 minutes of cleaning. Sorts requiring special set-up conditions (e.g. changing laser wavelength or several compensations) may require longer minimum booking times. This can be arranged at the discretion of the operator.
- Users are billed minimally for the time booked online and any additional time used. Users may be permitted to exceed their scheduled appointment time if the instrument has not been booked by someone else, but will be charged the normal rate for the extra time used.
- You may request to shift your appointment to an earlier or later time (either on the same or another instrument) if it is available on the same day without penalty. This request must be approved by the operator which you must contact directly.
- Emergency sort appointments:
We provide a limited number of emergency appointments for after-hours cell sorting, which are dependent on operator availability. Examples of an emergency scenario include samples that have to be processed immediately (e.g. patient samples, samples from moribund animals) and for which advanced booking is not feasible. A higher fee will be charged for these appointments (see Fees page).
Emergency appointments can be booked no more than 48 hours in advance and will generally be booked Monday to Thursday from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. (earlier starts are possible where scheduling permits). In most cases we can accommodate only one emergency appointment per day. To book an emergency cell sorting appointment, please contact FMCF manager Sherry Zhao by phone: 416-581-7654 or pager: 416-237-3754.
- Cell sorting appointments may be cancelled no less than 48 hours in advance (excluding weekends/holidays) without penalty and can be done so online in order to allow other users an opportunity to book a time slot for cell sorting.
- Users who wish to cancel their appointments booked from less than 48 hours to more than 24 hours in advance, must send an email to the operators they booked. The operator will send a mass email to all users indicating that the time slot is available. Users will be billed for any time that is not taken by another user.
- Users cancelling sorting appointments less than 24 hours in advance (excluding weekends/holidays), as well as no shows, will be billed for their appointments. Users who need to cancel the day of their appointment are required to inform the operator they booked with directly by calling the FMCF.