Upton Allen, MBBS, MSc, FAAP, FRCPC
The Hospital for Sick Children
Consultant in Infectious Diseases
Senior Associate Scientist
Child Health Evaluative Sciences
University of Toronto
Paediatrics and Health Policy Management and Evaluation
For more information, visit:
Clinical Care Activities
Infectious diseases-related consultations.
Activities include consultations in previously normal hosts as well as immunocompromised patients with a wide spectrum of infectious diseases.
- Infections in immunocompromised patients
- Transplant-related infections
- Dr. Allen’s research is focused on infections in transplant patients. Among these infections, the primary focus is on herpes group viral infections, notably Epstein-Barr Virus-related post-transplant lymphoproliferative disease (PTLD).
Specific projects include, but are not limited to the following:
- Gene expression profiling in EBV lymphoproliferation
- RCT of EBV prophylaxis strategies.
- TH1 and TH2 cytokine profiles and associated correlates in EBV-driven lymphoproliferation.
- Role of EBV semiquantitation in the diagnosis of posttransplant lymphoproliferative disease (PTLD).
- Registry of PTLD.
- Burden and correlates of PTLD in Canadian paediatric transplant recipients.
- Risk factors for PTLD among pediatric transplant recipients.
- HHV-6 infection in bone marrow transplant recipients.
- HHV-6 infection in solid organ transplant recipients
- An area of secondary research relates to vaccine and vaccinations strategies for children with weakened immune systems.
Future Research Interests
Expansion of EBV and associated viruses research activities that examine the immunogenetic factors that influence disease susceptibility, manifestations and outcomes.
- Thrasher Foundation
- Physicians Services Incorporated Foundation
- National Cancer Institutes of Canada
Allen U. Immunizations for children with cancer. Pediatric Blood and Cancer;49(S7):1102-1108, 2007
Hernández De Mezerville M, Tellier R, Hébert D, Doyle J, Allen U. Adenoviral infections in pediatric transplant recipients: a hospital-based study. Pediatric Infect Dis J;25:815-8, 2006
Humar A, Hébert D, Davies D, Humar AB, Stephens D, O Doherty B, Siegal D and Allen U. A multi-center randomized trial of ganciclovir versus ganciclovir plus immune globulin for prophylaxis against EBV related post-transplant lymphoproliferative disorder (PTLD) in high-risk solid organ transplant recipients. Transplantation;81:856-61, 2006
Allen UD. Factors influencing predisposition to sepsis in children with cancers and acquired immunodeficiences unrelated to HIV infection. Pediatr Crit Care Med; 6[Suppl.]:S80-S86), 2005
Allen UD. The ABC of Epstein-Barr virus infections - hot topics in infection and immunity in children. Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology;568.25-39,2005
Allen UD, Farkas G, Hébert D, Petric M, Stephens D, Tellier R, Ngan B. Weitzman S, Fecteau A, West L, Wasfy S. Risk factors for posttransplant lymphoproliferative disease (PTLD) in pediatric patients. Pediatr Transplant;9:450-5,2005
Preiksaitis JK, Brennan D, Fishman J, Allen U. Canadian Society of Transplantation Consensus Workshop on cytomegalovirus management in solid organ transplantation final report. Am J Transplant;5:218-27, 2005.
Tran L, Hébert D, Dipchand A, Fecteau A, Richardson S, Allen U. Invasive pneumococcal disease in pediatric organ transplant recipients: a high-risk population. Pediatr Transplant.;9:183-6, 2005
Gonzáles F, Allen U. Quantitative measurement of cytomegalovirus load in pediatric solid organ transplant recipients: moving beyond antigenemia. Pediatr Transplant;8:309-312, 2004
Allen U and the HSC SARS Investigative and Management Teams. The potential impact of SARS on organ transplantation - exercise caution. Pediatric Transplantation;7:345-347, 2003.
Allen U, Alfieri C, Preiksaitis J, and the Canadian PTLD Workshop Group-1999. Epstein-Barr Virus infection in transplant recipients: summary of a Canadian workshop on surveillance, prevention and treatment. Can J Infect Dis;13:89-99, 2002.
Allen UD. Human herpes virus type 8 infections among solid organ transplant recipients. Pediatric Transplantation;6:187-92, 2002.
Allen UD, Hebert D, Moore D, Wasfy S and the Canadian PTLD Survey group. Survey of post-transplant lymphoproliferative disease in Canada -1988-1997. Pediatric Transplantation;32:1235-, 2001.
Pandya A, Wasfy S, Hebert D, Allen U. Varicella-zoster infection in solid organ transplant recipients: a hospital-based retrospective study. Pediatric Transplantation;5:1-9, 2001.
Allen UD, Tellier R, Calderwood S, Wasfy S, Petric M, Kumar P, Doyle J, Freedman M, Saunders F. The utility of plasma polymerase chain reaction for human herpes virus-6 among bone marrow transplant recipients: results of a pilot study. Bone Marrow Transplantation;28:473-477, 2001.
Allen UD, Hebert D, Tran D, Petric M, Tellier R, Taylor G, Stephens D, West L, Superina R, Dosch H, Wasfy S, Nelson S. Utility of semiquantitative polymerase chain reaction for Epstein-Barr virus among pediatric solid organ transplant recipients with and without post-transplant lymphoproliferative disease. Clinical Infect Dis;33;145-150, 2001.