Catherine Birken, MD, M.Sc., FRCPC
The Hospital for Sick Children
Child Health Evaluative Sciences
University of Toronto
Deaprtment of Paediatrics
For more information, visit:
- Completed post-graduate training as Chief Resident in Paediatrics at The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids) in 2001.
- From 2001-2004 completed a fellowship in Academic General Paediatrics at SickKids, as well as an M.Sc. degree in Clinical Epidemiology and Health Care Research Program from the University of Toronto.
- Appointed as a Staff Paediatrician (clinical specialist), Division of Paediatric Medicine and Assistant Professor, University of Toronto in 2004.
Clinical Care Activities
- General inpatient paediatrics
- Outpatient complex obesity treatment
- TARGet Kids! Longitudinal cohort design and pragmatic randomized controlled trials, obesity prevention and treatment, physical activity and screen time
- Injury prevention
- Childhood obesity prevention
- Health promotion in preschool children through office practice settings
- Complex morbid obesity treatment
- Child Advocacy
- 2014-2019 Co-Principal Investigator, Fit for School, Fit for Life: Child Health and School Readiness
- 2015-2019 Co-Principal Investigator, Team to Address Bariatric Case in Canadian Children (Team ABC3)
- 2016-2018 Principal Investigator, Addressing Obesity in Toddlers at Risk: A Pragmatic Randomized Controlled Trial Comparing Usual Care to Group-Based Parenting and Home Visits in Primary Care
- 2012 - American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP Ontario Chapter), Pediatricians Alliance of Ontario; Special Achievement Award
- 2011 - Dr. William Feldman Award for Excellence in Paediatric Medicine Research, Division of Paediatric Medicine, Hospital for Sick Children
- 2004 - The Children's Hospital Foundation Award for Excellence in Research - First Place, Fellow, Children's Hospital Foundation of Manitoba and the Department of Paediatrics and Child Health, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba.
- 2004 - Paediatric Research Award, Subspecialty Paediatrics Research award, Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto
- 2002 - Graduate Student Union M.Sc. Posters Award, Research award, Department of Health Policy Management and Evaluative Sciences, University of Toronto
A listing of Dr. Birken's publications is available on PubMed