John Brumell, PhD
The Hospital for Sick Children
Inflammatory Bowel Disease Centre
University of Toronto
Institute of Medical Science, Department of Molecular Genetics
Phone: 416-813-7654 ext. 303555
Dr. Brumell completed undergraduate studies at the University of Western Ontario with a major in Biochemistry. He completed his PhD at the University of Toronto in 1997. His doctoral research focused on phosphoryation-dependent signaling mechanisms in human leukocytes that encounter bacteria. He extended these studies from 1997-1998 at Mt. Sinai Hospital in Toronto. His postdoctoral studies at the University of British Columbia from 1998-2002 examined how Salmonella subverts host cells to cause infection.
In 2002 Brumell returned to Toronto where he established a laboratory at The Hospital for Sick Children. He is now a Senior Scientist in the Cell Biology program and a Co-Director of the SickKids Inflammatory Bowel Disease Centre. In 2014 Dr. Brumell was awarded the Pitblado Chair in Cell Biology.
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Intracellular pathogens
- Membrane traffic
Dr. Brumell’s research examines the host-pathogen interface and employs genetic and cell biological approaches to understand these infections and their outcomes. This research focuses primarily on Salmonella and Listeria, which are common pathogens and powerful model organisms for the study of infection. In addition to this basic research, Dr. Brumell’s lab also examines how host-pathogen interactions can impact the development of chronic diseases such as Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Arthritis.
- Canadian Foundation for Innovation
- Ontario Innovation Trust
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada
- Crohn’s and Colitis Canada
- The Arthritis Society of Canada
- Pitblado Chair in Cell Biology
- GE Healthcare New Investigator Award of the Canadian Society for Molecular Biosciences
- Canadian Society of Microbiologists Fisher Scientific Award
- Canadian Association of Gastroenterology Young Investigator Award
- Burroughs Wellcome Fund Investigators in Pathogenesis of Infectious Disease Award
A full list of Dr. Brumell's publications can be found on PubMed.