Thomas Eiwegger, MD
The Hospital for Sick Children
Staff Physician, Clinical Immunology & Allergy
Immunology & Allergy
Scientist, Physiology & Experimental Medicine
University of Toronto
Thomas Eiwegger earned his doctoral degree at the Medical University of Vienna, Austria, where he also completed his paediatric training. He did his post doctoral training in the Swiss Institute of Asthma and Allergy in the group of Cezmi Akdis from 2008 to 2010 and after returned to the Medical University of Vienna where he trained in paediatric allergy and respiratory medicine. Before moving to Sickkids, Eiwegger was Principal Investigator and Associate Professor at the Department of Paediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, Medical University of Vienna, Austria.
Developing and facilitating new concepts in the treatment of food allergy
Eiwegger’s main interests are mechanisms of IgE-mediated allergy. He will focus in particular on a better understanding of the mechanisms of tolerance development to food allergens and markers thereof. Eiwegger will define new treatment approaches by delineating the sequence of events that take place in children that lose their food allergy.
- O'Mahony L, Akdis CA, Eiwegger T. Innate mechanisms can predict successful allergy immunotherapy. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2016; 137:559-61.
- Upton J, Eiwegger T. How Low Should We Go. Int Arch Allergy Immunol 2015; 168:147-9.
- Christiansen A, Kringelum JV, Hansen CS, Bogh KL, Sullivan E, Patel J, et al. High-throughput sequencing enhanced phage display enables the identification of patient-specific epitope motifs in serum. Sci Rep 2015; 5:12913.
- Soyka MB, Holzmann D, Basinski TM, Wawrzyniak M, Bannert C, Burgler S, et al. The Induction of IL-33 in the Sinus Epithelium and Its Influence on T-Helper Cell Responses. PLoS One 2015; 10:e0123163.
- Boyman O, Kaegi C, Akdis M, Bavbek S, Bossios A, Chatzipetrou A, et al. EAACI IG Biologicals task force paper on the use of biologic agents in allergic disorders. Allergy 2015; 70:727-54.
- Ackerbauer D, Bublin M, Radauer C, Varga EM, Hafner C, Ebner C, et al. Component-resolved IgE profiles in Austrian patients with a convincing history of peanut allergy. Int Arch Allergy Immunol 2015; 166:13-24.
- Szepfalusi Z, Bannert C, Ronceray L, Mayer E, Hassler M, Wissmann E, et al. Preventive sublingual immunotherapy in preschool children: first evidence for safety and pro-tolerogenic effects. Pediatr Allergy Immunol 2014; 25:788-95.
- Diesner SC, Bannert C, Gruber S, Dehlink E, Eiwegger T, Szepfalusi Z. The mydriaticum cyclopentolate induces severe allergy in a 5-year-old child. Klin Padiatr 2014; 226:252-3.
- Tiringer K, Treis A, Kanolzer S, Witt C, Ghanim B, Gruber S, et al. Differential expression of IL-33 and HMGB1 in the lungs of stable cystic fibrosis patients. Eur Respir J 2014; 44:802-5.
- Zaleska A, Eiwegger T, Soyer O, van de Veen W, Rhyner C, Soyka MB, et al. Immune regulation by intralymphatic immunotherapy with modular allergen translocation MAT vaccine. Allergy 2014; 69:1162-70.
- Bublin M, Eiwegger T, Breiteneder H. Do lipids influence the allergic sensitization process? J Allergy Clin Immunol 2014; 134:521-9.
- Martin-Fontecha M, Eiwegger T, Jartti T, Rueda-Zubiaurre A, Tiringer K, Stepanow J, et al. The expression of cannabinoid receptor 1 is significantly increased in atopic patients. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2014; 133:926-9 e2.
- Bogh KL, Nielsen H, Eiwegger T, Madsen CB, Mills EN, Rigby NM, et al. IgE versus IgG4 epitopes of the peanut allergen Ara h 1 in patients with severe allergy. Mol Immunol 2014; 58:169-76.
- Prelog M, Schonlaub J, Jeller V, Almanzar G, Hofner K, Gruber S, et al. Reduced varicella-zoster-virus (VZV)-specific lymphocytes and IgG antibody avidity in solid organ transplant recipients. Vaccine 2013; 31:2420-6.
- Diesner SC, Gruber S, Dehlink E, Muhlebner A, Eiwegger T, Szepfalusi Z. Somnolence upon allergen provocation in a child with Hen's egg allergy. Klin Padiatr 2013; 225:232-3.
- Tiringer K, Treis A, Fucik P, Gona M, Gruber S, Renner S, et al. A Th17- and Th2-skewed cytokine profile in cystic fibrosis lungs represents a potential risk factor for Pseudomonas aeruginosa infection. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2013; 187:621-9.
- Eiwegger T, Gruber S, Szepfalusi Z, Akdis CA. Novel developments in the mechanisms of immune tolerance to allergens. Hum Vaccin Immunother 2012; 8:1485-91.
- Soyka MB, Wawrzyniak P, Eiwegger T, Holzmann D, Treis A, Wanke K, et al. Defective epithelial barrier in chronic rhinosinusitis: the regulation of tight junctions by IFN-gamma and IL-4. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2012; 130:1087-96 e10.
- Bogh KL, Nielsen H, Madsen CB, Mills EN, Rigby N, Eiwegger T, et al. IgE epitopes of intact and digested Ara h 1: a comparative study in humans and rats. Mol Immunol 2012; 51:337-46.
- Soyka MB, Treis A, Eiwegger T, Menz G, Zhang S, Holzmann D, et al. Regulation and expression of IL-32 in chronic rhinosinusitis. Allergy 2012; 67:790-8.
- Gruber S, Eiwegger T, Nachbaur E, Tiringer K, Aigner C, Jaksch P, et al. Lung transplantation in children and young adults: a 20-year single-centre experience. Eur Respir J 2012; 40:462-9.
- Meyer N, Christoph J, Makrinioti H, Indermitte P, Rhyner C, Soyka M, et al. Inhibition of angiogenesis by IL-32: possible role in asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2012; 129:964-73 e7.
- Mayer E, Bannert C, Gruber S, Klunker S, Spittler A, Akdis CA, et al. Cord blood derived CD4+ CD25(high) T cells become functional regulatory T cells upon antigen encounter. PLoS One 2012; 7:e29355.
- Eiwegger T, Akdis CA. IL-33 links tissue cells, dendritic cells and Th2 cell development in a mouse model of asthma. Eur J Immunol 2011; 41:1535-8.
- Gruber S, Tiringer K, Dehlink E, Eiwegger T, Mayer E, Konstantin H, et al. Allergic sensitization in kidney-transplanted patients prevails under tacrolimus treatment. Clin Exp Allergy 2011; 41:1125-32.
- Akdis M, Burgler S, Crameri R, Eiwegger T, Fujita H, Gomez E, et al. Interleukins, from 1 to 37, and interferon-gamma: receptors, functions, and roles in diseases. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2011; 127:701-21 e1-70.
- Zimmermann M, Koreck A, Meyer N, Basinski T, Meiler F, Simone B, et al. TNF-like weak inducer of apoptosis (TWEAK) and TNF-alpha cooperate in the induction of keratinocyte apoptosis. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2011; 127:200-7, 7 e1-10.
- Eiwegger T, Gruber S, Geiger C, Mayer E, Dehlink E, Bannert C, et al. Impact of systemic immuno-suppression after solid organ transplantation on allergen-specific responses. Allergy 2011; 66:271-8.
- Szepfalusi Z, Gruber S, Eiwegger T, Dehlink E. Clinical practice: Allergen-specific immunotherapy in children: facts and FAQs. Eur J Pediatr 2011; 170:137-48.
- Eiwegger T, Stahl B, Haidl P, Schmitt J, Boehm G, Dehlink E, et al. Prebiotic oligosaccharides: in vitro evidence for gastrointestinal epithelial transfer and immunomodulatory properties. Pediatr Allergy Immunol 2010; 21:1179-88.