Cecil Hahn, MD, MPH, FRCPC
The Hospital for Sick Children
Neurosciences & Mental Health
University of Toronto
Department of Paediatrics (Neurology)
Dr. Cecil Hahn joined the Division of Neurology at The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids) as a Clinician-Investigator in 2006, with expertise in paediatric epilepsy and neurocritical care. Dr. Hahn directs the SickKids ICU continuous EEG monitoring program, and has led the implementation of clinical guidelines for EEG monitoring in the neonatal, paediatric and cardiac intensive care units.
Clinical Care Activities
- Neurocritical Care
- Care Continuous EEG Monitoring in Intensive Care Units
Dr. Hahn is principal investigator of a multi-centre prospective study of seizures among comatose critically ill children, with goals to measure the prevalence of seizures, characterize patients at risk for seizures, and measure the impact of these seizures on functional and neuropsychological outcomes.
His research group also continues to investigate the utility of quantitative EEG trending displays to assist with seizure identification among critically ill infants and children.
In addition, Dr. Hahn has a leadership role in an international research consortium on critical care EEG monitoring, through which he and his group are contributing to several collaborative multi-center studies.
- Nonconvulsive seizures among critically ill children: Focus on Neuropsychological Outcomes. PI: Hahn CD. Co-investigators: Hutchison JS, Snead OC, Parshuram CS. Collaborators: Otsubo H, Dennis M. The Physicians’ Services Incorporated Foundation
- Nonconvulsive seizures among critically ill children. PI: Hahn CD. Co-investigators: Hutchison JS, Snead OC, Parshuram CS. Collaborator: Otsubo H. Canadian Institutes of Health Research & SickKids Foundation - New Investigator Research Grant
- 2011 Fellow, American Clinical Neurophysiology Society
- 2007 Senior Fellow, Massey College, University of Toronto
- 2006 Duncan L. Gordon Fellowship, SickKids Foundation
- 2003 Harvard Associates in Canada Scholarship, Harvard University
- 2002 President's Prize, Canadian Association of Child Neurology
- 2002 William J. Logan Award of Excellence in Clinical Teaching, SickKids
Appendino JP, McNamara PJ, Keyzers M, Stephens D, Hahn CD: The impact of amplitude-integrated electroencephalography on NICU practice. Canadian Journal of Neurological Sciences 2012: 39 (3): 355-60.
Hahn CD, Shemie S, Donner E: Status Epilepticus. In: Pediatric Critical Care, 4th Edition (Fuhrman B, Zimmerman J, eds). Elsevier, Philadelphia 2011: pp 837-848.
McCoy B, Sharma R, Ochi A, Go C, Otsubo O, Hutchison JS, Atenafu EG, Hahn CD. Predictors of nonconvulsive seizures among critically ill children. Epilepsia, 2011, Nov: 52 (11): 1973-8.
Hahn CD, Manlhiot C, Schmidt MR, Nielsen TT, Redington AR. Remote ischemic per-conditioning: A novel therapy for acute stroke? Stroke, 2011 Oct: 42 (10): 2960-2.
Stewart CP, Otsubo H, Ochi A, Sharma R, Hutchison JS, Hahn CD. Seizure identification in the ICU using quantitative EEG displays. Neurology, 2010 Oct; 2010 (75):1501-1508.
Abend NS, Dlugos DJ, Hahn CD, Hirsch LJ, Herman ST. Use of EEG Monitoring and Management of Non-Convulsive Seizures in Critically Ill Patients: A Survey of Neurologists. Neurocritcal Care. 2010 12:382–389.
Verboon-Maciolek MA, Groenendaal F, Hahn CD, Hellmann J, van Loon AM, Boivin G, de Vries LS. Human parechovirus causes encephalitis with white matter injury in neonates. Annals of Neurology 2008: 64 (3): pp 266-73.
Hahn CD, Banwell BL: Diseases of the peripheral nervous system. In: Pediatric Critical Care Medicine: Basic Science and Clinical Evidence (Wheeler D, ed). Springer-Verlag, London 2007.
Hahn CD, du Plessis AJ: Neurologic disorders associated with cardiac disease. In: Pediatric Neurology: Principles & Practice 4th edn. (Ferreiro, Swaiman, Ashwal, eds). Mosby, St. Louis 2006.
Hahn CD and Riviello, JJ Jr: Neonatal Seizures and EEG: Electroclinical Dissociation and Uncoupling. NeoReviews 2004: 5: pp e350-5.
Hahn CD, Shroff M, Blaser SI, Banwell BL: MRI criteria for multiple sclerosis: evaluation in a pediatric cohort. Neurology 2004: 62: pp 806-8.
Hahn CD, Miles BS, MacGregor DL, Blaser SI, Banwell BL, Hetherington CR: Neurocognitive outcome following acute disseminated encephalomyelitis. Pediatric Neurology 2003: 29: pp 117-123.