Jill Hamilton, MD
The Hospital for Sick Children
Senior Associate Scientist
Physiology & Experimental Medicine
University of Toronto
Department of Paediatrics
Jill Hamilton received her medical degree at The University of Ottawa, Ontario and Paediatric specialty degree at The University of Toronto. She trained in Paediatric Endocrinology at The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto.
She is currently Staff Physician in the Division of Endocrinology, Department of Paediatrics and Associate Professor, University of Toronto and Associate Scientist at the Research Institute at The Hospital for Sick Children.
Clinical Care Activities
- comprehensive tertiary care of children and teens with complex obesity, including bariatric surgery patients
- care of children with endocrine and metabolic disorders, with an interest in hypothalamic obesity, polycystic ovarian syndrome, Turner syndrome and thyroid cancer
- insulin resistance/beta cell secretion and type 2 diabetes
- Turner Syndrome
- thyroid cancer
Her research interests include the clinical and biochemical manifestations of insulin resistance and pancreatic beta cell function in the paediatric age group. Recent studies include: (i) risk for diabetes and metabolic syndrome and pathophysiologic mechanisms related to the development of hypothalamic obesity in children treated for craniopharyngioma; (ii) early life risk factors for the development of obesity and diabetes in infants born to women with gestational diabetes; (iii) incidence and clinical presentation of type 2 diabetes in Canadian children (iv) risk for insulin resistance and cardiovascular disease in girls with Turner Syndrome; (iv) role of ectopic fat deposition and metabolic consequences in obese children and adolescents. I have a secondary interest in pediatric thyroid cancer and have studies evaluating (i) longitudinal followup; (ii) quality of life; (iii) cell cycle markers in differentiates thyroid cancer; (iv) ultrasound sensitivity in detecting malignant thyroid nodules.
Future Research Interests
Randomized controlled trial of motivational interviewing for weight loss in obese adolescents.
- Oren A., Murphy A., Benoit M.A., Schulte F., Hamilton J. Quality of Life and Anxiety in Adolescents with Differentiated Thyroid Cancer, J. Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2012 Jul 12. [Epub ahead of print]
- Luca P., Birken C, Grewal P, Dettmer E., Hamilton J. Complex Obesity. Current Pediatric Reviews. 2012 Vol 8 (2): p179-187
- Retnakaran R. Ye C., Hanley AJ, Connelly PW, Sermer M, Zinman B, Hamilton J. Effect of maternal weight, adipokines, glucose intolerance and lipids on infant birthweight in women without gestational diabetes mellitus. CMAJ. 2012 May 22. [Epub ahead of print]
- Cohen M., Guger S., Hamilton J. Long term sequelae of pediatric craniopharyngioma - literature review and 20 years of experience. Frontiers in Endocrinology Online Publication: 28 November 2011 doi: 10.3389/fendo.2011.00081
- Amed S., Hamilton J., Sellers E., Hadjiyanakkis S., Panagiotopoulos C., Shah BR, Booth GL, Laubscher TL, Dannenbaum D., Dean H., Type 2 Diabetes in Canadian Aboriginal Children and Youth at Diagnosis: A Population-Based Study. Pediatric Diabetes 2012 Feb 27. doi: 10.1111/j.1399-5448.2012.00859.x.
- Hamilton J., Conwell L., Ahmet A., Jeffery A., Daneman D. Hypothalamic obesity following craniopharyngioma surgery: Results of a pilot trial of combined diazoxide and metformin therapy Intl J Pediatr Endocrinol Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 417949, doi:10.1155/2011/417949
- Amed S., Dean H., Sellers E., Panagiotopoulos C., Shah BR, Booth GL, Laubscher TL, Dannenbaum D., Hadjiyanakkis S., Hamilton J. Do children with medication-induced diabetes have a risk factor profile similar to children with type 2 diabetes? J. Pediatrics 2011 Aug;159 (2):291-6.
- Walpole B., Dettmer E., Morrongiello B., McCrindle B., Hamilton J. Motivational Interviewing as an intervention to increase adolescent self-efficacy and promote weight loss: Methodology and Design BMC Public Health 2011, 11:459
- Amed S, Dean H, Panagiotopoulos C, Sellers E, Hadjiyannakis S, Laubscher T, Dannenbaum D, Shah B, Booth G, Hamilton J. National surveillance for non-type 1 diabetes mellitus in Canadian children: type 2 diabetes, medication induced diabetes, and monogenic diabetes. Diabetes Care 2010 Jan 12. [Epub ahead of print].
- Rakhshani N, Jeffery A, Schulte F, Barrera M, Atenafu E, Hamilton J. Evaluation of a comprehensive care clinic model for children with brain tumour and risk for hypothalamic obesity Obesity 2010 Jan 7 epub ahead of print
- Retnakaran R, Qi Y, Goran M, Hamilton J. Evaluation of proposed oral disposition index measures in relation to the actual disposition index. Diabetic Medicine 2009 Dec;26(12):1198-203.
- Hamilton J, Odrobina E, Hanley A, Zinman B, Retnakaran R. Effect of maternal insulin sensitivity during pregnancy on infant weight gain and adiposity at 12 months of age. Obesity 2009 epub Aug 6
- Simoneau-Roy J, O’Gorman C, Pencharz P, Adeli K, Daneman D, Hamilton J. Insulin secretion and sensitivity in children and adolescents with hypothalamic obesity following treatment for craniopharyngioma. Clin Endocrinol 2009 epub May 25.
- Zdravkovic V, Hamilton J, Daneman D, Cummings E: Pioglitazone as adjunctive therapy in adolescents with type 1 diabetes. Journal of Pediatrics 2006: 49(6): pp 845-849.
- Ahmet A, Blaser S, Stephens D, Guger S, Rutka JT, Hamilton J: Risk factors for weight gain in children treated for craniopharyngioma. Journal of Pediatric Endocrinology and Metabolism 2006: 19(2): pp 121-128.