Eluen Ann Yeh, MD, MA, FRCPC, Dip ABPN
The Hospital for Sick Children
Neurosciences & Mental Health
University of Toronto
Associate Professor and Education Program Director
Dr. Yeh is a graduate of Harvard University (AB). She received an MA from McGill University in Montreal, Quebec and her MD at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario. She completed paediatrics training at McMaster University and paediatric neurology training at SUNY Buffalo, where she developed and co-directed the Pediatric MS and Demyelinating Disorders Center of Excellence. She is currently an Associate Professor of Paediatrics (Neurology) at the University of Toronto in Ontario, Canada, where she is the director of the MS and Demyelinating Disorders Program at The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids). She is the Education Director in the Division of Neurology at SickKids, and the Director of the paediatric neurology training program at SickKids and the University of Toronto. Her research interests are in visual and neuro-cognitive outcomes in paediatric demyelinating conditions, rehabilitative interventions for this population, as well as therapies for paediatric MS.
- Paediatric multiple sclerosis and demyelinating disorders - Inflammatory disorders of the central nervous system
- Paediatric multiple sclerosis and demyelinating disorders - Inflammatory disorders of the central nervous system
- 2012-2013 Microbiome in inflammatory disorders. Connaught Grant. PI: J. Gommerman, PhD. Role: Co-I. University of Toronto.
- 2012-2015 Treatment adherence in Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis. LOI, policy RFA NMSS. Role: PI. Yeh, EA; Schwartz, C; Weinstock-Guttman, B; Ness, J; Patterson, M; Rodriguez, M; Waubant, E. National MS Society. Collaborative six-centre grant evaluating medication adherence in pediatric MS and the use of an electronic adherence monitoring device.
- 2012-2015 End MS RRTC, Ontario-Manitoba. PI. EA Yeh. Collaborators: Harauz, G; Gaffhir, O. MS Society of Canada.
- 2012-2013 MS Society of Canada. Clinical-demographic, epidemiology, pathobiology, neuroimaging features and outcomes of acute demyelination in Canadian Children: Phase 2. Site-investigator. Banwell B, Yeh EA, Bar-Or A, Sadovnick D, Marrie RA, Arnold D, Till C, Costello F, Narayanan S, Sled J, Tellier R.
- 2009-2013. CIHR. Development, implementation and dissemination of a standardized approach to the care of paediatric multiple sclerosis: a national consensus guideline of management strategies including treatment of acute relapses, immunomodulation, and escalation therapy to increase patient safety and prevent early-onset neurological disability. PI: D. Pohl. Role: Co-I. Pohl D, Venkateswaran S, Banwell B, Yeh EA.
- 2012-2013 Dairy Farmers of Canada. Vitamin D Clinical Trial. PI. Yeh, EA, Banwell B, Makhani N, Veith R, Marrie, RA. January 2012 to April 2013.
- 2011-2013 Impact of Seizures in infants and Children with Ischemic Stroke. Role: Site PI, Co-Investigator. Epilepsy Foundation of America.
- 2010-2014 Demographic, environmental and genetic factors that modify pediatric multiple sclerosis course. NIH R01. PI. (Emmanuelle Waubant). Role: Site PI. Co-investigator. NIH.
- 2009-2014 VIPS. R01 NS062820-01A2. PI (Fullerton). NIH/NINDS Research Project Grant. VIPS: Vascular Effects of Infection in Pediatric Stroke. Role: Co-investigator/site PI.
- 2006-2012 National MS Society. Pediatric MS Center Grant. Co-PI 2010-2012, Co-I, Co-director 2006-2010 % time: 40%.
- 2010 Use of a standardized rehabilitation testing battery in pediatric demyelinating disorders: longitudinal assessment of disability. PI. E. Ann Yeh. Jog for the Jake Foundation.
- 2008 Developing Standardized Visual Outcome Measures for Children with Demyelinating Disease. Role: PI. In collaboration with Dr. B. Weinstock-Guttman, Dr. J. Reynolds, Dr. S. Bennett, Dr. L. Shriber, Dr. W. Waz, Dr. N. Lincoff, Dr. M. Ramanathan. Foundation: The Children's Guild Foundation, Inc.
- 2006 Neuropsychological outcomes in children with demyelinating disease: a case-control study. Jog for the Jake Foundation. PI.
- 2011 Short list. Poster Prize ECTRIMS 2011. Amsterdam Oct. 2011.
- 2005 Gold Foundation Humanism and Excellence in Teaching Award. Awarded by the School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences.
- 2005 Award for Excellence in Clinical Neurology. Department of Neurology, SUNY Buffalo.
- 2005 American Academy of CP and Developmental Medicine. Resident scholarship to annual meeting. Orlando, Florida.
- 2005 American Academy of Neurology. AAN resident teaching scholarship to Annual Meeting. Miami, FL, USA.
Yeh EA, Weinstock-Guttman B. Management of pediatric multiple sclerosis. Journal of Child Neurology. PMID: 22914373
Parrish J, Weinstock-Guttman B, Smerbeck A, Benedict R, Yeh EA. Fatigue and depression in children with demyelinating disorders. Journal of Child Neurology. PMID: 22805247
Aliotta R, Cox JL, Donohue K, Weinstock-Guttman B, Yeh EA. Zivadinov R. Tract-based spatial statistics (TBSS) analysis of diffusion-tensor imaging data in pediatric and adult onset multiple sclerosis. Human Brain Mapp. PMID: 22936429
Weinstock-Guttman B, Ramanathan M, Marr K, Hojnacki D, Benedict RHB, Morgan C, Yeh EA, Carl E, Kennedy C, Reuther J, Brooks C, Hunt K, Elfadil M, Andrews M and Zivadinov R. Clinical correlates of chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency in multiple sclerosis. BMC Neurology 2012, 12:26
Parrish J, Yeh EA. Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2012;724:1-14.
Chitnis T, Tenembaum T, Banwell B, Krupp L, Pohl D, Rostasy K, Yeh EA, Bykova O, Wassmer E, Tardieu M, Kornberg A, Ghezzi A for the IPMSSG. Consensus guidelines: use of first and second line therapies in pediatric MS. Mult Scler. 2012 Jan;18(1):116-27. Epub 2011 Dec 6. PMID: 22146610
Yeh EA. Management of Children with Multiple Sclerosis. Pediatric Drugs. 2012 Jun 1;14(3):165-77. PMID: 22497553
Waubant E, Mowry EM, Krupp L, Chitnis T, Yeh EA, Kuntz N, Ness J, Chabas D, Strober J, McDonald J, Belman A, Milazzo M, Gorman M, Weinstock-Guttman B, Rodriguez M, Oksenberg JR, James JA; US Pediatric MS Network. Common childhood viruses and HLA-DRB1 as susceptibility factors in pediatric onset MS. Neurology, 2011 Jun 7;76(23)
Yeh EA, Waubant E, Krupp LB, Ness J, Chitnis T, Kuntz N, Ramanathan M, Belman A, Chabas D, Gorman MP, Rodriguez M, Rinker JR 2nd, Weinstock-Guttman B; National Network of Pediatric MS Centers of Excellence. Arch Neurol. 2011 Apr;68(4):437-44.
Yeh EA, Weinstock Guttman B, Ramanathan M, Ramasamy D, Willis L, Cox JL and Zivadinov R. MRI Characteristics of Children and Adults with Pediatric Onset Multiple Sclerosis. Brain. 2009 Dec;132(Pt 12):3392-400.
Kandel A, Amatya, S, Yeh EA. Reversible DWI changes in Propionic Acidemia. Journal of Child Neurology Epub April 24, 2012.
Farooq O, Faden H, Cohen M, Yeh EA. Neurologic complications of H1N1 Influenza A. J Child Neurol. 2012 Apr;27(4):431-8.
Yeh EA. Therapeutic options in pediatric demyelinating disorders. Curr Treat Options Neurol. 2011 Dec;13(6):544-59.
Yeh EA and Weinstock-Guttman B. Fingolimod: an oral agent for the treatment of multiple sclerosis. Advances in Therapy. 2011. 28(4):270-8
Zivadinov R, Cutter G, Marr K, Ramanathan M, Benedict RHB, Elfadil M, Bergsland N, Moran C, Carl E, Hojnacki D, Yeh EA, Willis L, Cherneva M, Hussein S, Durfee J, Kennedy C, Dwyer M, Weinstock-Guttnan B. Prevalence, Sensitivity and Specificity of Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency in Multiple Sclerosis. Neurology. July 12; 2011, 77(2): 138-44.
Smerbeck AM, Parrish JY, Yeh EA, Hoogs M, Weinstock-Guttman B, Benedict RHB. Regression-based pediatric Norms for the Brief Visuospatial Memory Test â€“ Revised and the Symbol Digit Modalities Test. Clinical Neuropsychologist. 2011 Mar, 4: 1-11.
Smerbeck AM, Parrish J, Serafin D, Yeh EA, Weinstock-Guttman B, Hoogs M, Krupp L, Benedict RHB, Visual Processing Deficits in Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis. Multiple Sclerosis. 2011 Apr 17(4): 449-5.
Yeh EA, Parrish JY, Weinstock Guttman B. Disease progression in pediatric multiple sclerosis: disparities between physical and neurocognitive outcomes. Expert Review of Neurotherapeutics. 2011:11(3):433-440 .
Chitnis T. Krupp L, Yeh EA, Rubin J, Kuntz N, Strober JB, Chabas D, Weinstock-Guttman B, Ness J, Rodriguez M, Waubant E. Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis. Neurol Clin 2011 May; 29(2): 481-505
Yeh EA and Weinstock-Guttman B. Natalizumab in Pediatric MS. Therapeutic Advances in Neurologic Disease. 2010, 3(5) 293-5.
Yeh EA. Diagnosis and treatment of multiple sclerosis in pediatric and adolescent patients: current status and future therapies. Adolescent Health, Medicine and Therapeutics 2010:1 61–71
O'Connor KC. Lopez-Amaya PC, Gagne, Moore-Odom NH, Kennedy J, Krupp L, Tenembaum S, Ness J, Belman A, Boiko A, Bykova O, Mah JK,, Stoian CK, Waubant E, Kremenchutzky M, Ruggieri M, Bardini MR, Rensel M, Hahn J, B. Weinstock-Guttman B, Yeh EA, Farrell K, Freedman M17, Iivanainen M, Bhan V, Dilenge M, Hancock M, Gano D, Fattahie R, Kopel L, Fournier AE, Moscarello M, Banwell B, Bar-Or A, Anti-myelin antibodies modulate clinical expression of childhood multiple sclerosis. Journal of Neuroimmunology 2010 Jun;223(1-2):92-9.
Kuntz N, Chabas D, Weinstock-Guttman B, Chitnis T, Yeh EA, Krupp L, Ness, J, Rodriguez M, Waubant E for the Network of US Pediatric MS Centers of Excellence. Treatment of Multiple Sclerosis in Children and Adolescents. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2010 Mar;11(4):505-20.
Yeh EA, Tanuja Chitnis, Lauren Krupp, Jayne Ness, Dorothée Chabas, Nancy Kuntz and Emmanuelle Waubant for the US Network of Pediatric MS Centers of Excellence. Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis. Nat Rev Neurol. 2009 Nov;5(11):621-31.
Parrish J, Weinstock-Guttman B, Yeh EA. Cerebellar mutism in pediatric acute disseminated encephalomyelitis. Pediatr Neurol. 2010 Apr;42(4):259-66.
Chabas, D, Ness J, Yeh EA, Kuntz N, de Kouchkivski, Strober J, Weinstock-Guttman B, Waubant E for the NMSS Network of Pediatric MS Centers of Excellence. Pediatric MS before puberty: a distinct CSF inflammatory profile. Neurology 2010 Feb 2;74(5):399-405.
Yeh EA, Weinstock-Guttman, B, Lincoff N, Weinstock A, Madurai N, Agarwal N, Karpinski M and Ramanathan M. Retinal Nerve Fiber Thickness in Inflammatory Demyelinating Diseases of Childhood Onset. Multiple Sclerosis July 2009, (15) 802-810.
Weinstock-Guttman B, Miller C, Yeh EA, Stosic M, Umhauer M, Batra N, Munschauer F, Zivadinov R, and Ramanathan M. Neuromyelitis Optica Immunoglobulins (NMO IgG) As a Marker of Disease Activity and Response To Therapy in Patients with Neuromyelitis Optica. Multiple Sclerosis, Sep 2008; 14: 1061 - 1067
Grazioli E, Yeh EA, Benedict RHB, Parrish J, and Weinstock-Guttman B. Cognitive Dysfunction in Multiple Sclerosis: Bridging the Gap between Neurocognitive Deficits, Neuropsychological Batteries and MRI Measures. Future Neurology, January 2008, 3(1): 49-59.
Yeh EA and Weinstock-Guttman B. New Combination Therapies for Multiple Sclerosis. the Comité de Evaluación Científica de la Sociedad Iberoamericana de Información Científica (SIIC). Website www.siicsalud.com, Section: Invited Experts. 2007.
Yeh EA. Which MRI findings predict MS development in children? Nat Rev Neurol. 2012 Feb 28;8(4):185-6. PMID: 22371277
Parrish JY, Weinstock-Guttman B, Yeh EA. Reply to letter "Cerebellar Mutism in pediatric acute disseminated encephalomyelitis”. Pediatric Neurology. 2010 Oct; 43(4): 303-4; author reply 304.
Yeh, EA and Tardieu M. How well can MRI predict MS in children with acute disseminated encephalomyelitis (ADEM) Neurology 2010 May 4;74(18):1404-5.
Yeh, EA, Weinstock-Guttman B. Multiple sclerosis: predicting risk and delaying progression. Lancet Neurol. 2010 Jan;9(1):7-9.
Yeh EA and Weinstock-Guttman B. Moving on to second-line therapies: immunosupression with cyclophosphamide. Neurology. 2009 Jun 16;72(24):2064-5.
Banwell B, Tellier, R, Krupp L, Bar-Or, A, Kennedy J,, Tenembaum S, Boiko A, Bykova O, Belman A, Mah J, Stoian C, Ness J, Rensel M, Hahn J, Weinstock-Guttman B, Yeh EA, Waubant E, Farrell K, Freedman M, Bhan V, Dilenge, M, Iivanainen M, Kremenchutzky, M, Ruggieri, M. Clinical Features and Viral Serologies in Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis: results of a multinational study. Lancet Neurology. 2007 Sep; 6(9):773-81.
Yeh EA, Collins A, Cohen ME, Duffner PK, Faden H. Detection of coronavirus in the central nervous system of a child with acute disseminated encephalomyelitis. Pediatrics. 2004 Jan;113(1 Pt 1):e73-6.
Seino M and Yeh EA. Patterns of international epilepsy care: epilepsy care in Japan. Neurology. 1997 48(6 Suppl 8): S8-15.
Yeh EA. Tenkan geka chiryou ga janja no seikatsu no shitsu (QOL) ni oyobos eikyou: Nihon oyobi Amerika/Kanada no kikaku kenkyu—iryou mokukyou to shakai risou (Quality of life and surgery for epilepsy in Japan and North America: Medical goals and social ideals). (In Japanese). Annual Report of the Japan Epilepsy Research Foundation. 1997. 9:189-93.
Yeh EA. An anthropological view of QOL: Therapeutic objectives and social contradictions. Epilepsia 1996 37(Suppl 3): 41-3.