Facebook Pixel Code
About Sickkids
About SickKids

February 11, 2010

Protect Your Child from Gas Fireplace Burns

Image of fireplace safety poster

Gas fireplaces are perfect for keeping you and your family warm throughout the winter, but can pose a risk for severe burns to young children and infants.

Gas fireplace glass can reach a temperature of 200°C, hot enough to cause a third-degree burn, even after the fireplace has been turned off. After being turned off, the glass remains hot for at least 45 minutes. The easiest way to prevent burns is to keep the fireplace off when young children are around; if this isn’t an option, you could install a screen or hearth gate.

The SickKids Burn Prevention Team has launched an awareness campaign about gas fireplace safety and burn prevention, distributing posters to schools, day care centres and medical offices across Ontario.

For more information or to order posters, contact SickKids’ Burn Prevention Outreach Team at 416-813-4970. To print a poster, click here.