Refer a patient
How to refer a patient to SickKids
The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids) uses an online referral system to support more timely and efficient management of referral from health-care professionals to the outpatient clinics. This system is beneficial to you, the referring physician, to the child and their family and to our hospital.
The online system electronically routes patient referrals for review, triage and booking. It provides automated responses to let you know when your referral has been received, whether it has been redirected and to whom, and when the patient has been booked for an appointment.
If you would like to review referral guidelines before referring a patient to SicKKids please visit the Review Guidelines page.
There are currently two ways to refer a patient electronically:
1. electronic Child Health Network (eCHN) e-Referral. This is the referral process that we ask all referrers to use and it provides the following benefits:
- Draft capability: save your incomplete referral and complete it at a later time
- Delegation capability: allow your staff or colleagues to create/manage referrals on your behalf
- Email Alerts: notifications that SickKids has updated the status of one of your referrals
- Print capability
- Referral cancellation capability
- Supports professionals working at multiple sites: you select the facility the referral originates from
- eCHN is a non-profit, government-funded organization dedicated to providing electronic solutions that permit the sharing of health care information among authorized health care providers
If you are a first time user
Please request your account by completing the eCHN e-Referral Application Request Form.
For urgent referrals only (same day referrals), contact eCHN’s helpdesk directly 416-813-7998 or 1-877-252-9900, or by email at email@example.com.
2. The original Ambulatory Referral Management system (ARMs)
This online referral system provides an automated response to let you know:
- When your referral has been received
- Whether it has been redirected, and to whom
- When the patient has been booked for an appointment
Your patients and your office benefit because:
- Your referral is immediately directed to the right clinic
- Patients get the right care at the right time
- Staff spend less time on the phone, because clinics aren't calling for more information and you always know the status of your referral