The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids) is the largest children’s hospital in Canada and one of the major paediatric referral centres in North America. It has an international reputation for excellence in healthcare, research and teaching.
The Department of Anesthesia and Pain Medicine at SickKids oversees the perioperative care of 20,000 infants and children per year.
There are 35 full time paediatric anesthesiologists, 10 paediatric anesthesia fellows, 10 residents, 6 nurse practitioners and one clinical psychologist who deliver clinical care to patients at SickKids.
Our case load includes the subspecialty areas of:
- Organ transplantation anesthesia in neonates, infants and children.
SickKids is the regional centre for the management of pain in the paediatric patient. The Department of Anesthesia and Pain Medicine maintains venues in procedural pain management, acute pain management and chronic pain management.
Our fellowship is a one-year program consisting of four days per week of clinical anesthesia including exposure to all of the above named areas.
Fellows are allocated one day a week of non-clinical (academic) time. It is expected that this non-clinical time will be used to participate in research within the department. Research findings are presented at an annual University of Toronto Department of Anesthesia research symposium, in the form of a poster and/or oral presentation. Submission of research findings to national and international anesthesia meetings is encouraged and supported. Additional protected time is available and dependent on the needs, goals and performances of individual fellows.
A structured educational program for fellows consists of seminars in general paediatric anesthesia and pain management, paediatric cardiac anesthesia, and research methods/statistics. Other educational activities include weekly departmental rounds, Telehealth conferences and simulation sessions.
Accommodation can be arranged at the Alan Brown building, a hospital apartment residence adjacent to SickKids. Options include bachelor suites, one bedroom and two bedroom apartments.
- Total number of positions available annually: 10
- Duration of available training: 1 year
- Minimum requirements for admission into program: Board-eligible in Anesthesia (CA-3 completed or fellowship qualification outside of North America)
- Deadline: Applications are accepted online 15-24 months prior to the start of the fellowship. The application process is open yearly from mid-December to end of March. For example, applications for fellowships commencing July 2018 and January 2019 will be accepted from mid-December 2016 to March 31, 2017.
For a more detailed description of the General Fellowship program, see General Fellowship Information (pdf).
If you are interested in a fellowship, please complete the online Fellowship Application Form.
Department of Anesthesia and Pain Medicine
The Hospital for Sick Children
For information on Advanced Fellowships in Research, Cardiac Anesthesia and Pain, see our Advanced Fellowships page.