Patients and families
Welcome to our Patients and Families page. We hope this page will answer many of your questions and concerns. In turn we hope to hear from you for feedback as well. To the right are some great links to help make your visit or stay with The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids) as easy as possible.
If your child is coming to SickKids to have surgery or a procedure under general anesthesia, please visit the Coming for Surgery page for more information.
PREPARING YOUR CHILD AND FAMILY FOR ANESTHESIA
In some cases, it may be helpful for you to come into the operating room with your child. At the time of pre-surgery evaluation, the anesthesiologist will determine if parental presence at induction is a good alternative for your child and we encourage the dialogue between you and your anesthesiologist at your pre-operative appointments.
Review the document Preparing your child and family for anesthesia for the answers to some commonly asked questions, such as:
- Who are the team members that will be involved with my child’s care?
- Who decides which technique is best for my child?
- What if I absolutely want to come into the operating room with my child?
- How does my child go to sleep?
- How can I prepare my child and family for the hospital and surgical experience?
- Can I be with my child when they wake up?
- Who can I call for more information?
- Coming for your appointment
- Frequently asked questions
Create your very own website to share life at SickKids with your friends. Visit our CarePages site to create an account. Receive support from friends and family. Visitors to your CarePage send you messages of encouragement, giving hope and strength even in the most difficult situations.
- Update them at the same time without repeated phone calls. Keep in touch before, during, and after hospitalization.
- Recognize outstanding staff members. Compliment your favorite SickKids staff by sending them a thank you through your CarePage
- Starting a CarePage is easy. Set yours up in less than 10 minutes.To get started, visit http://www.carepages.com/sickkids and click on “Create a CarePage”.
Be Sweet to Babies (Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario)