The SickKids Department of Anesthesia and Pain Medicine possesses a multi-disciplinary and comprehensive research environment.
We have active research projects involving anesthetic action, cellular targets and toxicity, translational medicine, acute and chronic pain, quality improvement, epidemiology and simulation. Many members of our department have appointments in the SickKids Research Institute, one of the largest paediatric research institutes in North America. Our members possess funding from local, national and international competitive granting agencies.
The Paediatric Anesthesia and Pain Medicine Clinical Fellowship has a significant research component and the fellows are expected to present their research at national and international conferences. In addition to clinical fellows, our department has graduate students (through adjunct University of Toronto appointments for some members of our department), clinical research nurses, research associates (doctoral level trained), research assistants, laboratory technicians and research fellows.
We are also part of the larger Univerity of Toronto Anesthesia Department, which includes 15 hospitals and four research institutes.
OVERREACHING AREAS OF RESEARCH EXPERTISE:
- Anesthesia action and mechanism
- Drug design and toxicity
- Mitochondrial dynamics and function
- Stem cells as models for drug toxicity and action
- Cardiac ion channels and congenital dysrhythmias
- Drug pharmacology
- Simulation and anesthesia education
- Outcome measures in paediatric anesthesia and quality control
- Pain medicine and treatment in paediatric medicine
- Systematic reviews, meta-analysis, and randomized trials with particular emphasis on advancing methods for the measurement, interpretation and dissemination of pain and other quality of life data
Recent papers from our staff physicians’ can be found on PubMed. Customize your search for full listings and papers by typing in the first and last name of the physician.