What we do
The Department of Anesthesia and Pain Medicine includes areas of Anesthesia Research, Chronic Pain Research and Treatment, Acute Postoperative Pain Management and Preoperative Assessment.
The Department’s programs and services are diverse, including clinics and services such as:
- Acute Pain Service
- Cardiac Anesthesia
- Chronic Pain Clinic
- Pre-Anesthesia Clinic
Certain members of the Department are designated clinical teachers with the Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto. Staff Anesthesiologists engaged in clinical and basic science are cross-appointed to The Research Institute, at The Hospital for Sick Children. All full time staff are members of the Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto.
Learn more about our research activities, which includes some of the following areas:
- Anesthesia action and mechanism
- Drug design and toxicity
- Stem cells as models for drug toxicity and action
- Systematic reviews, meta-analysis, and randomized trials with particular emphasis on advancing methods for the measurement, interpretation and dissemination of pain and other quality of life data
- Simulation and anesthesia education
- Pain medicine and treatment in paediatric medicine