Welcome to the Centre for Brain & Mental Health
We have never been in a stronger position to lead innovative, collaborative initiatives that increase the brain and mental health of children and youth.
- The brain is a complex organ, made up of 100 billion neurons (brain cells), but it is the LEAST understood
- 90% of what we know about the brain has only been learnt in the past 15 years
- About half of mental health disorders begin before the age of 16
- There are more than 1,000 diseases that affect the brain and nervous system
- One in three Canadians will be affected by one or more brain condition at some point in their lives
- About one in five individuals will experience a mental health disorder in their lifetime
Facts sourced from: Neurological Health Charities Canada, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, World Health Organization, Neuroscience Canada.
Since its inception in 2007, the Centre for Brain & Behaviour has undergone significant growth and development. As a core component of the centre's strategic focus, child and youth mental health now features prominently in its activities and collaborations.
Following months of discussions amongst the Centre Executives to both better represent our constituents, and our focus –– particularly with the recent addition of Psychology and Social Work to our Executive Committee –– the former Centre for Brain and Behaviour at The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids) has undergone a name change and now exists as the Centre for Brain & Mental Health.
The Centre for Brain & Mental Health strives to globally exceed its reputation as innovators in paediatric neurosciences and mental health care, through the promotion and execution of interdisciplinary and interprofessional activities both at SickKids and within the greater community.
Pain management in premature infants linked to impaired brain development
Thursday, January 28, 2016
Biology of tumour changes when childhood brain cancer recurs, Canadian study finds
Wednesday, January 13, 2016
C-BMH Advocacy Day Converence
Friday, June 10, 2016