About Healthy Active Living
Healthy active living refers to a holistic lifestyle including eating nutritious foods, being physically active, and balancing stress. Here are a few helpful tips for you and your family:
1. Start early! Healthy moms have a much better chance of having babies who enjoy good health throughout their lives.
2. Be active! Physical activity is more than just ‘exercise’; activities of daily living, such as taking the stairs and active play, are just as important. Proper amounts of physical activity are tied to greater
- mental health
- academic performance
- skill development
- problem solving and decision making abilities
- social skills (sharing, taking turns, helping others, resolving conflict)
Sedentary time, in particular screen time, can also promote unhealthy weight gain and should be limited to less than 2 hours per day.
3. Fuel your body! Healthy eating is a vital part of normal growth and development for children; aim for balance, look for variety, and practice moderation. Eating family meals together and at regularly scheduled times can help to build healthy eating habits that last through to adulthood.
4. Sleep tight! A growing body of evidence shows that shorter sleeping time can lead to changes in your metabolism putting you at risk for diabetes and heart disease. A good night’s sleep also helps keep stress levels low and helps you cope better with new challenges. Setting a good sleep routine for your children is one of the best things you can do to keep them healthy.