What can I expect if my child has a cochlear implant?
We cannot predict how well any child will progress with a cochlear implant. A child's progress depends on many factors, including:
- the age at which the child became deaf
- the length of time in which the child has been deaf
- family and educational support
- family's and child's motivation
- child's level of speech language development
- child's cognitive development and learning style
- presence of a cochlear abnormality
The cochlear implant:
However, with consistent use of the cochlear implant and ongoing training, the sound the child hears through the implant should become more meaningful and should enhance the child's ability to communicate.