Subject to availability, observerships are available within the Department of Critical Care Medicine.
This is a temporary, unfunded appointment which does not allow direct hands on patient contact. It is intended for paediatric residents considering the Critical Care training program at SickKids or for internationally trained Critical Care physicians to gain experience in an advanced, high volume, internationally recognized teaching/research hospital.
- Only individuals with a medical degree and board eligible/certified in paediatrics, paediatric anesthesia, paediatric surgery or adult emergency medicine will be considered.
- There is a minimum/maximum of a one month observership in the Critical Care Unit.
- We only have two appointments per month.
- There are no appointments during the months of June, July, August and December.
- Applications must be submitted four to six months in advance of the request.
- Observers will not receive educational credit from SickKids for time spent observing.
- The applicant will be responsible for all administrative and registration costs.
An observer is not considered an employee of SickKids for any purpose and therefore is not entitled to salary, benefits, reimbursement of expenses or other forms of compensation. Observers at SickKids are not covered under the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) and are not covered under the SickKids liability insurance. Observers release SickKids and its affiliates from any responsibility or liability for personal injury, and/or damage to or loss of property.
Note: Medical students are not accepted as observers in the Critical Care Medicine Department at SickKids.
For more information and for an application package, please contact: