Fetal Alert Network (FAN)
The Fetal Alert Network (FAN) is a provincial network of trans-disciplinary regional healthcare teams. Each team consists of a nurse coordinator with advanced knowledge and skills in caring for women with complex pregnancies. These nurses work in collaboration with specialists in maternal fetal medicine, primary obstetrical care providers, midwives, medical geneticists, pediatric sub-specialists, healthcare epidemiologists and others. They facilitate access through the management of patient triage and referral, provide outreach education and act as local experts and change agents to improve effectiveness of care delivery.
Our objectives are:
- To improve access and healthcare delivery at all levels of care;
- To promote a multi-disciplinary coordination of health care delivery and collaboration at various levels of care;
- To provide timely and accurate information about health care system utilization and the clinical outcomes to promote evidence-based practice; and,
- To develop long range plans for health promotion and illness prevention for pregnant women and for babies with birth defects.
- To achieve these goals, we have implemented an integrated and coordinated network for antenatal care involving all high-risk pregnancies for the province
Key Benefits of FAN:
The key benefits of FAN are the following:
- Coordinated and improved access to service;
- Improved communication between providers and accessible education and information for both patients and providers;
- Integrated, seamless, and coordinated healthcare delivery and follow up; and,
- Precise, accurate and timely healthcare data and information.
These key benefits are realized through the following deliverables:
- Regional capacity building through the introduction of regional nurse coordinators who perform triage, counseling, diagnostic support, coordination, data collection, education and follow up
- Introduction of a common provincial referral process
- Leveraging existing provincial Telehealth networks to deliver an ongoing system of accessible provider education
- Coordinated access through 1-866-661-7200
- Web-based health care information and education (www.fetalalertnetwork.com)
- FAN antenatal health care and systems database
- Provincial knowledge brokering workshops for network integration and coordination