International Pediatric Fever and Neutropenia Guideline
Fever and neutropenia (FN) is a common complication in children who receive chemotherapy for cancer.
We convened a panel of pediatric cancer and infectious diseases experts to develop an evidence-based guideline for the empiric management of pediatric FN. This guideline focuses on children and adolescents with cancer and/or undergoing hematopoietic stem cell transplantation who have FN, and is designed for healthcare professionals who care for these patients. Implementation will require adaptation to the local context and should consider organizational barriers such as available local infrastructure to support different models of care.
This guideline has been endorsed by the following organizations:
- American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology (ASPHO)
- Pediatric Oncology Group of Ontario (POGO)
- C17 Council
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)
- Multinational Association of Supportive Care in Cancer (MASCC)
- Children’s Oncology Group (COG). These FN recommendations are now provided in every therapeutic COG protocol.