Image Guided Therapy (IGT) is a state-of-the-art facility, where minimally invasive procedures are performed. It is located on the 2nd floor in the Atrium at SickKids.
It enables our interventional radiologists to diagnose and treat children through minimally invasive interventional procedures using real-time image guidance. It also allows surgeons and interventional radiologists to work side-by-side using the best imaging modality and the least invasive surgical techniques. Other specialties also utilize IGT's facility, due to its cutting edge technology, to perform their procedures such as Bronchoscopies and ERCPs.
There are a total of four suites within IGT, each with its own specialized equipment, as well as equipment common to all four rooms.
- Room 1 contains a Single Plane Digital Angiography unit.
- Room 2 contains a Single Plane Digital Angiographic unit.
- Room 3 contains a Biplane Digital Angiography unit.
- Room 4 contains a Single Plane Digital Angiography unit.
- 4 ultrasound machines are available to be utilized through the unit and portably when procedures are done elsewhere in the organization.
- Access to CT and MRI for procedures using these modalities is available when necessary, including for HIFU procedures.
All rooms are built to OR standards with positive pressure air exchanger 20/hour and OR lights, floor and wall surfaces.
IGT sees over 6000 patients annually and performs various interventional procedures. Below is a representation of the proportion of those procedures.