The goal of the nursing student placement program is to partner with academic institutions to ensure that high quality paediatric nursing placements are provided at The Hospital for Sick Children. Experiences are created to support the needs of students, patients and families, in keeping with the goals and visions of the Centre for Nursing, the Academic Health Science Centre as a whole and the academic programs' curriculum objectives.
All students are offered:
- a comprehensive orientation
- access to all educational programs at SickKids
- access to the Centre for Nursing and all of its resources
- access to the hospital library
Students currently placed at SickKids include:
- Third and fourth year undergraduate students
- Second entry degree students
- Post diploma students
- Specialty certificate students
- Graduate students
- Nurse practitioner students
- International nursing students
Nursing Student Placement Areas
Below you will find an example of units and clinics available for placements. Please note that the availability and number of placement positions are subject to change.
Unit Placements for Nursing Students
- Emergency Department
- Critical Care Unit - Medical/Surgical and Cardiac
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
- Post Anaesthetic Care Unit
- Operating Room
- Multi-organ Transplant, Nephrology, Rheumatology, GI/Nutrition, Endocrinology
- Paediatric Medicine, Infectious Diseases, Respiratory Medicine
- General Surgery, Urology & Gynecology
- Orthopaedics, Otolaryngology
- Neurosurgery, Trauma, Neurology
- Burns and Plastics
- Haematology / Oncology, Bone Marrow Transplant
- Psychiatry/ Adolescent Medicine
Clinic Placements for Nursing Students
- Infectious Diseases
- Paediatric Consult
- Plastic Surgery
- Bleeding Disorders
- Sickle Cell/Thalassemia
- Occupational Health
Please be aware that the availability of many of our clinics changes from term to term. Many of these clinics are not suitable for students seeking a final placement.
How Do I apply?
To apply for a nursing student placement at SickKids please contact your Academic Placement Coordinator and have them contact the Centre for Nursing at 416-813-6941. For further information regarding Undergraduate Student Placements and Graduate Student Placements use the main menu on the left side of your screen.
Please note that we do not accept placement requests directly from students.
For more information, please contact the Centre for Nursing at 416-813-6941 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org