Paediatric Medicine Rounds are open to SickKids faculty, fellows, residents, students, other relevant staff members and invited guests, unless otherwise specified below.
- Morbidity & Mortality (M&M) Rounds
- Paediatric Dermatology Rounds/Teaching
- Paediatric Medicine Divisional Academic Rounds
- SCAN Rounds
- Toronto City-Wide Paediatric Rounds
- Section of Community Paediatrics Journal Club
- Noon Report, Education Rounds
Morbidity & Mortality (M&M) Rounds - 4th Friday of every 'block' - Noon to 1 pm - Room. 7704, Atrium
- Paediatric Medicine M&M Rounds is open to all members of the Paediatric Medicine team, including physicians from In-Patient Paediatric Medicine, Paediatric Consultation Clinic, SCAN, Dermatology and Community Paediatric sections, nursing, administration, social work, physio and OT, dietician, child life representative, discharge planners, plus invited guests (based on the cases being presented).
Format: Two to three cases are presented/month. All mortalities are presented and morbidity is reviewed and relevant cases are presented as well. The cases are presented by the residents or attending staff and all individuals involved from other areas are invited to attend rounds, in addition to the Paediatric Medicine team. The chronology of events, 'issues' and discussion including recommendations for improvements is presented. The case is then opened up for discussion from the floor. The proceedings are summarised in the minutes which are circulated to all members of the division, as well as to the hospital-wide M&M Committee for their review.
Content/Purpose: Morbidity and mortality (M&M) reviews are conducted at The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids) to ensure that patient deaths and morbidity events are reviewed in a multi-disciplinary forum with the following purposes: a) to ensure that the care provided was appropriate and timely, and b) to learn from the review in order to develop new knowledge and improved systems of care delivery, if appropriate. M&M reviews should emphasize learning and prevention of similar occurrences.
Contact Person: Tiziana Altobelli 416-813-7368
- Paediatric Dermatology Rounds are open to SickKids faculty, fellows, residents, students, nurses, other relevant staff members and invited guests.
Content: Review of various paediatric dermatology topics.
Contact Person: Jasmine Hylton 416-813-8185
Paediatric Medicine Divisional Academic Rounds (formerly Sit-Down Rounds) - Fridays (except 4th Fridays) of each 'block' - Noon to 1 pm. - Rm. 1250, Black Wing
- Paediatric Medicine Divisional Academic Rounds is the weekly clinical rounds of the Division of Paediatric Medicine. The paediatric residents on the Paediatric Medicine In-Patient Unit rotation and in the ambulatory rotation take turns giving the presentations.
Content: The purpose is to provide up-to-date and evidence-based presentation of important, relevant and current clinical topics of interest. There are always opportunities for questions and open discussion.
Contact Person: Dr. Sarah Schwartz 416-813-7982
Research Rounds (formerly PORT Rounds) - 1st & 3rd Thursdays - Noon to 1 pm - Rm. 10407, Black Wing
- Paediatric Medicine Research Rounds are held twice monthly during the academic year. The purpose of the rounds is to provide a forum for presentation of research projects conducted by Division faculty and fellows.
- The rounds are attended by full-time and part-time faculty, academic fellows, residents, graduate students, and research associates.
Content: The research rounds provide an opportunity for critical appraisal of study design, data analysis, and interpretation, as well as opportunity for dissemination of research findings to clinicians in active practice. Occasionally, rounds will be used as the forum for scientific review of a study proposal prior to submission to the Research Ethics Board.
Contact Person: Donna Whitely 416-813-6933
- The rounds are attended by SCAN physicians, nurses, psychologist, social workers, clinic coordinator and invited SickKids faculty.
Contact Person: Jennifer Kingston 416-813-6275
Toronto City-Wide Paediatric Rounds - held quarterly - Local hotel venue in Toronto - 7:15 - 8:45 p.m.
- Dr. Mark Feldman and Dr. Michael Peer (Co-chairmen) have organized quarterly City-Wide Paediatric Rounds hosting between 100-150 Paediatricians (since 2000).
- The rounds are comprised of three speakers presenting high-level academic evidence-based topics, over a period of 1.5 hours, on a variety of common, timely, practical and important Paediatric subjects.
- The rounds are sponsored by an educational grant with no strings attached, and held at a local hotel venue in Toronto.
- The topics and speakers are chosen without any industry input. The rounds have been accredited for Section 1, Maincert recognition. Effectiveness of the rounds has been best measured by the consistently high turnout of paediatricians over the more than four years that the rounds have been organized.
See link below for more information regarding Toronto City-Wide Paediatric Rounds:
Toronto City-Wide Paediatric Rounds
Section of Community Paediatrics Journal Club – 4th Thursdays of every month: – 8:00 – 9:00 am – Room 1409B Roy C Hill Wing
Section of Community Paediatrics Journal Club is open to members of the Section of Community Paediatrics, SickKids faculty and other relevant staff members and invited guests.
- to provide continuing education on new developments or controversial topics, relevant for community paediatricians
- to enhance critical appraisal strategies
- to provide an informal opportunity for questions and answers with an expert in the field (invited guest)
Contact Person: Cindy Groff 416-813-5795
A case based, group learning activity in the tradition of the morning report. Learn how doctors think - concepts, reasoning and process.
Contact Person: Cindy Groff 416-813-5795