Facebook Pixel Code
surgeons operating
Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

Meet Our Burn Team

The Burn Team is composed of a talented group of professionals from multiple disciplines:

  • Medical Director
  • Nurse Practitioner
  • Rehab Team
  • Child Life Specialist
  • Occupational Therapist
  • 8C Inpatient Unit
  • Nurse Practitioner
  • Social Work
  • Out-Patient Clinic Nurse
  • Dietitian

Learn more about our SickKids Burn Team in detail!


The Burn Rehabilitation Team at Sick Kids is comprised of Occupational Therapists and Physiotherapists.  

Occupational Therapist (OT)
The role of the Occupational Therapist on the burn team is to assist the child with the burn injury in maintaining independence in daily life skills and in managing the burn scar area.

Physiotherapist (PT)
The role of the Physical Therapist on the burn team is to assist the child with the burn injury to regain their strength, range of motion, mobility and function.



Child Life Specialists are paediatric health-care professionals who work with patients, their family and others involved in the child’s care in order to help them manage fear and anxiety related to the hospital environment, diagnosis and/or injury.  The objective is to identify a child's needs and support them at their individual developmental level.  Such services will minimize the impact of hospitalization, and numerous procedures while maintaining individual growth and development and family relationships

Child Life Specialists collaborate with parents and other health-care professionals to meet the distinct needs of children in managing the effects of stress and trauma. Because children may feel overwhelmed, child life professionals help children gain a sense of familiarity and control of their environment through play and exploration inside the health-care facility. Understanding that a child’s well-being depends on the support of the family, they also provide information, support and guidance to parents, siblings, and other family members. Services that a child life specialist provides include:

      •  Psychological preparation for tests, surgeries, and other medical procedures
      •  Support  during medical procedures
      •  Therapeutic medical and recreational play
      •  Teach coping techniques
      •  Sibling support
      •  Work to normalize the hospital environment
      •  Support transition home/back to school after injury


Social workers on the Burn Team provide counseling and other services that you may need when your child has a physical or emotional health problem.  Some of the ways they help are:

      • Supporting you during periods of crisis
      • Offering individual counseling for children and teens
      • Provide support groups
      • Linking you to community resources when you need financial help or home support
      • Advocating for you in hospital and in the community
      • School re-entry program
      • Feelings of grief and loss
      • Parenting issues and concerns about your other children
      • Family conflict which affects your ability to cope
      • Communicating with the health care team
      • Follow-up support for your child and family at home
      • Concerns that you or your child may be at risk of emotional, physical or sexual abuse

Social workers are professionally trained to help children and families in situations like these.  As a member of your child's health-care team, the social worker understands the impact of the illness or condition affecting your child.  

To contact the Social Work Department please call 416-813-6805



Sandy Davies
Senior Secretary for Dr. Joel Fish, Medical Director
416-813-7654 ext. 228198

8C Clerk
416-813-7654 press 1 then ext. 6932

Out-Patient Clinic
416-813-7654 press 1 and then ext. 4982

Referrals Coordinator
Melinda Coady
416-813-7654 ext. 8879

Back to top