Health Records inquiries
To access patient information we require consent allowing us to release information.
There is no charge to send copies of a Health Record to another Physician or Health Care Provider under Circle of Care.
- Specified Reports – Specific reports/documents (i.e. Clinic Note, MRI Report, EEG Report, etc.).
- Summary of Record - This includes discharge summaries, clinic notes, consults, operative reports, MRI and CT Scan reports, major test results, and other specified test results.
- Complete Health Record - A complete copy of all reports compiled in a patient’s medical record.
- Diagnostic Imaging – If you require diagnostic images (x-rays, CT, etc.) on CD please contact the Diagnostic Imaging Department at 416-813-7511. The Health Records Department provides diagnostic imaging reports only.
Make cheques payable to The Hospital for Sick Children, or provide a contact number to call for credit card payment.
Payment is required before processing.
A $30.00 processing fee will apply to all requests. This includes the first 20 pages of requested records. An additional charge or .25¢ or .50¢ will apply for pages exceeding 20.
- Hard Copy Pages: .25¢ per page
- Micro Film & Fiche: .50¢ per page
Insurance Companies (other requestors)
A $160.00 processing fee. This includes the first 20 pages of requested records. An additional charge of $1.00 per page will apply for pages exceeding 20.
See: Sick Kids ROI Fee Schedule
We require the following to be included as part of the authorization:
- Direct the authorization to The Hospital of Sick Children
- Patients name, date of birth and reason for your request
- MRN is the Medical Record Number. If this is unknown leave blank
- Must include the name and address of the person the information is to be sent to
- An authorization must be fully completed, dated, signed and signature witnessed
- Consent must be signed on /after the treatment date and authorization is valid for 12 months.
- If the patient is 12 years of age or older, the authorization must be signed by the patient. Parental consent is required if the child is less than 12 years of age and not capable of consenting; otherwise, the child can consent to disclosing their information, If there is a conflict between the child and the parent, the capable child’s decision prevails with respect to consent.
For a copy of our authorization form please see Consent For Disclosure of Personal Health Information.
In accordance with the “Personal Health Information Protection Act” (PHIPA), The Hospital for Sick Children has up to 30 days to process a request.
PHIPA Section 54.(2) Time for response
(2) Subject to subsection (3), the health information custodian shall give the response required by clause (1) (a), (b), (c) or (d) as soon as possible in the circumstances but no later than 30 days after receiving the request. 2004, c. 3, Sched. A, s. 54 (2).
Please call Release of Information at 416-813-7575 if further information is required.
The Hospital for Sick Children
555 University Avenue