Meet our researchers
Major research endeavors
Current Areas of Research
- Clinical and epidemiological studies in patients with asthma and cystic fibrosis
- Translational studies on airway inflammation and infection in cystic fibrosis
- Effect of sex hormones in airway inflammation
- Defining the role of novel genes in lung development
- Aerosol therapy and exercise physiology.
- Childhood Asthma Management Program Continuation Study
- Pulmonary sequelae of sickle cell disease that is currently being addressed in a number of research studies
- The CHILD study, a large birth cohort study to elucidate the factors important for the development of asthma in early childhood,
- Air pollution lung health effects,
- North American multi-center clinical studies of children with Primary Ciliary Dyskinesia
- Clinical and physiological studies related to sleep disordered breathing
- Obesity and cardiac disorders such as cardiomyopathies
- Lung inflammation as well as immunological mechanisms involved in immunity against respiratory viruses.
- The role of arginase and NO deficiency in CF lung disease
- Multi-centre studies on azithromycin in Pseudomonas negative CF patients
- The role of aspergillus infection in
- The multi-center study on the use of hypertonic saline as an early intervention strategy
- Developing new outcomes measures to assess improvement in CF lung disease
- The BREATHE program, a study to develop CFTR corrector therapy funded by CIHR and the Canadian CF foundation.
Other areas of applied research
- an 80 site study in Australia, Canada and the US on Denufosol, a P2Y receptor agonist that activates chloride conductance through alternative chloride channels
- Clinical drug studies targeting the basic defect in CF
- Collaboration exists with the adult CF program at St, Michael’s Hospital led by Dr. Tullis in both clinical care and many areas of research
- Collaboration with the Lung Transplant Team at Toronto General led by Dr. Keshavjee.
- Newborn screening for Cystic Fibrosis