Capacity Building in the Caribbean
The SickKids-Caribbean Initiative (SCI)
SCI is a not-for-profit collaboration between SickKids and seven Caribbean institutions across six countries that strive to improve the outcomes and quality of life for children with cancer and blood disorders.
The Initiative establishes partnerships between health-care specialists at The Hospital for Sick Children (Sickkids) in Toronto and their counterparts in the Caribbean, through training and education to support the early identification and treatment of children living with cancer and blood disorders in the Caribbean.
Partners and Stakeholders
SickKids is working in partnership with the University of the West Indies (UWI), Ministries of Health and key hospitals and institutions from the six participating Caribbean countries: The Bahamas, Barbados, Jamaica, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines and Trinidad and Tobago.
Areas of Focus
Diagnostic Services, Clinical Care, Local Oncology Databases,Nursing, Sickle Cell Disease,Research & Evaluation
The objective of the SickKids-Caribbean Initiative is to build capacity among paediatric primary care providers and allied health-care professionals through:
- Improving the clinical management and treatment of paediatric cancer and blood disorders.
- Providing opportunities for training and education in the areas of nursing, pharmacy, pathology, laboratory and medicine.
- Establishing best practices and improving health outcomes through the development of local hospital-based oncology databases.
- Establishing an integrated and sustainable communication structure for bidirectional education amongst local partners.
- SCI supports SickKids' vision of Healthier Children. A Better World.™ through knowledge transfer and exchange with partners.
- SCI will enable improved local access to services for children in the Caribbean with cancer and blood disorders.
- SCI will help to build long-term and sustainable capacity for Caribbean partners; from diagnosis to follow-up care.
NEW! Paediatric Haematology/Oncology Nursing Education Program launched in Trinidad and Tobago- Read the story on SickKids Newsroom
Read the SickKids-Caribbean-Initiative:
SickKids-Caribbean Initiative is supported by the SickKids Foundation. Please Donate.
Together, we will make an impact on paediatric cancer and blood disorder care in the Caribbean.