Special Instructions for Genome Diagnostics Samples
1) Complete a Genome Diagnostics Requisition with the following information:
- Name of the individual and DOB
- Disease indication and reason of referral
- Clinical and family history information pertaining to the disease indication
- Reason for requesting expedited testing, including the gestational age and/or LMP date for pregnancy samples
- If other family members have had testing in the Genome Diagnostics, please indicate their name, DOB, and/or SickKids laboratory number. Please also include information about the familial mutation, if known.
2) Shipping and Handling Instructions:
- Specimens should be packaged in compliance with IATA P.I. 650 shipping standards. The outside of the package should have a label (see below) indicating 'Non-biohazardous, Non toxic material' and of no commercial value.
- The specimen should be shipped on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday so that the Genome Diagnostics Laboratory will receive the specimen within 24-48 hours after collection. If there is a delay in the shipping of specimen (i.e.>48 hours), the sample should be placed in the refrigerator and shipped to the Genome Diagnostics Laboratory on ice. Please call to inform us when the samples are being sent so that we can contact you if they do not arrive as expected.
The Department of Paediatric Laboratory Medicine
The Hospital for Sick Children
170 Elizabeth Street, Room 3642 (Rapid Response Lab)
Toronto, ON, M5G 1H3
3) Special instructions:
Prenatal Samples (Cultured Amniocytes and Chorionic Villi)
- Please indicate RUSH/STAT on the outside of the package.
- Contact Leslie Steele, Genetics Coordinator at email@example.com to provide patient, disease and sample information prior to sending a prenatal sample.
- Call 416-813-7200 x1 and provide the courier’s name and waybill number so that samples that do not arrive can be traced.