- Child Life Programs focus on the social and emotional impact of illness and hospitalization.
- Child Life strives to promote a positive hospital experience for children.
- Child Life Specialists use play as a tool for socialization, preparation, expression of feelings, normalization and learning.
What is the Role of the Child Life Specialist?
- Assessing the physical, social and emotional responses of the child and family to illness and hospitalization.
- Providing therapeutic play interventions to enhance coping.
- Utilizing preparation as a means for exploring creativity and developing self mastery.
- Facilitating safe play environments and play programs. Co-ordinating special events.
- Advocating for the psychosocial needs of children and families.
- Collaborating with children, families, health care professionals and community agencies.
- Providing supportive relationships for patients and families.
"We embrace the value of play in our commitment to children's health and development."