Family Advisory Network
Sitara de Gagne, Family Advisor at SickKids, talks about the importance of placing patients and families in the centre of all that we do and all that we plan to do.
Partnering with Children and Families at SickKids
At SickKids, partnership is about engaging children and families, according to their preference, in an authentic way. On a day-to-day basis, this means that our health-care providers value working collaboratively with patients and family members to make decisions about care. On a broader level, we have established formal structures that enable children and families to teach us about what we are doing well and co-create solutions to improve care for all patients and families.
Family Advisory Network
The Family Advisory Network is a group of patients and family members who volunteer in person and from home to help improve care at SickKids. Advisors provide a unique perspective and make a difference at all levels of the hospital. For example, they can impact the way staff care for patients at the bedside, advise on the design of our spaces, and lead discussions and development of hospital policies and procedures.
Opportunities for Creating Change as an Advisor
- Join a hospital committee! Enhance child and family-centred care by becoming a member of a hospital committee or project team. Share your experiences and ideas, and play an important role in shaping new initiatives.
- Bring the patient and family perspective to hospital committees. Advisors are currently members of the Hospital's Board Quality Committee, Inter-Professional Patient Care Committee, and Patient & Family Experience Advisory Committee.
- Participate in department-specific family advisory committees to enhance care for children and their families, such as the NICU Family Care Committee or the Labatt Family Heart Centre Patient & Family Advisory Council.
- Partner with staff on initiatives to improve specific processes or services. Advisors currently play an important role on the Family Orientation Quality Improvement project and Caring Safely work.
- Ask about the Children's Council for current and past patients, and siblings.
- Ask about the Family-Centred Care Advisory Council for family members and former patients.
- Participate in the Family as Faculty program! Gain the skills and the support to share your story in a way that enhances staff and trainee education, and participate in staff orientation, workshops, and conferences.
- Co-create resources that are child and family-friendly! Help design documents and materials for staff, patients, and families.
- And so much more.
We are Looking for New Advisors! Get Involved!
- Are you a patient or a family member involved in the care of a patient (includes parents, grandparents, siblings, etc.) and have experience with SickKids in the last five years?
- Are you interested in working with staff and other families?
- Are you committed to improving the experience of all patients and families?
If you answered "yes" to these questions, this may be a great opportunity for you! Visit Apply Now to Join the Family Advisory Network to learn more about the application process and submit an application form.
For additional information about the Network or if you have any questions, please email email@example.com or call 416-813-7654 X228313.