The Shared Governance model is an accountability-based approach, which seeks to ensure that the majority of decisions within the Emergency Department are made as close to the point of service as possible. It is a framework for departmental effectiveness providing a context for, partnership, equity, accountability and ownership. Under this model, seven key committees have been formed through multi-disciplinary representation from the Emergency Department. Each Council has its own mandate, goals, objectives and terms of reference.
The Governance Council
Sets the processes for:
- Strategic planning, vision, and mission statements.
- Setting goals and targets for the department.
- Monitors the overall operation of the department.
- Deals with issues not governed by any other council.
- Acts as a formal link between the councils.
The Policy & Practice Council
- Reviews, promotes, facilitates, and evaluates professional practice.
- Develops, reviews and approves policies and procedures related to practice in the ED.
- Fosters continuous improvement in patient care.
The Education Council
- Provides a forum for discussion, promotion and facilitation of education that fosters professional practice.
- Identifies staff learning needs.
- Develops plans to meet staff educational needs.
- Develops a fair and equitable system to reimburse staff’s educational expenses.
The Human Resources Council
- Examines the human resource needs of the Emergency Department
- Develops and reviews job descriptions that are specific to the ED.
- Interview and select new employees.
- Manages staffing and assignment issues within the allotted budget
- To match staff skills with patient and departmental needs.
- To develop rules and systems regarding schedule changes.
Ethics & Quality Management Council
- Provides a forum for discussion of ethical situations in the department.
- Monitors Risk and Quality Management issues in the Emergency Department.
- Develops audit tools, and implement audits.
- Recommends practice change when appropriate.
- Works to boost the morale with the department, and to create a cohesive relationship between staff.
- Plans activities based on staff interest and recommendations