Dr. Lisa Allen joined the Section of Paediatric & Adolescent Gynaecology in 1998, after completing a fellowship at Women’s College Hospital in pelvic floor surgery and advanced minimally invasive surgery. Allen received her medical degree from the University of Western Ontario, and completed her residency in Obstetrics and Gynaecology at the University of Toronto. She is currently the Head of the Section of Paediatric & Adolescent Gynaecology at SickKids, Staff in Gynaecology, Mount Sinai Hospital, and Staff in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Women’s College Hospital. She is also a Professor at the University of Toronto.
Dr. Allen is involved in the medical and surgical care of children and adolescents with general paediatric gynaecology disorders, as well as being a member of the Multidisciplinary Urogenital clinic for care of individuals with disorders of sex development. She participates in surgery for young women with congenital anomalies of the genital tract.
Education and experience
- 1992: Medical Degree, Department of Medicine, Western University, London, ON
- 1997: Clinical Fellowship Advanced Gynecologic and Minimally Invasive Surgery, Department of Obstetrics and gynecology, Women’s College Hospital, Toronto, ON
- 1998: Associate Staff, Section of Paediatric & Adolescent Gynaecology, SickKids, Toronto, ON
- 1999: Active Staff, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, ON
- 2003: Head, Section of Paediatric & Adolescent Gynaecology, SickKids, Toronto, ON
- 2016: Courtesy Staff, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Women’s College Hospital, Toronto, ON
- 2019: Gynecology Quality Lead, Continuing Quality Improvement and Patient Safety, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON
Dr. Allen conducts clinical research in a variety of areas in paediatric and adolescent gynaecology including ovarian pathology, mullerian anomalies, disorders of sex development, and sexually transmitted infections. She also has published on alternative options for education in paediatric gynaecology.
- 2019: People’s Choice Award Best Video & Top 3 Video Presentation – Canadian Society for the advancement of Gynecologic Excellence
- 2017: Chair’s Award for Excellence in Continuing Medical Education Course Coordination – Department of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, University of Toronto
- 2014: James C Fallis Award – Paediatric Emergency Medicine, SickKids
- 2014: Toronto’s Best Doctors – Toronto Life Magazine
- 2012: National Faculty Award – American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- Farquhar M, Jacobson M, Braun C, Wolfman W, Kelly C, Allen L, Lega I. Medical and gynecological comorbidities in adult women with Turner Syndrome: our multidisciplinary clinic experience. Climacteric. 2020 Feb; 23 (1): pp 32-37Co-Senior Author.
- Kingdom JC, Hobson SR, Murji A, Allen L, Windrim RC, Lockhart E, Collins SL, Soleymani Majd H, Alazzam M, Naaisa F, Shamshirsaz AA, Belfort MA, Fox KA. Minimizing surgical blood loss at cesarean hysterectomy for placenta previa with evidence of placenta increta or placenta percreta: the state of play in 2020. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2020 Jan 30. Epub Ahead of Print. pii: S0002-9378 (20) 30066-1. Coauthor or Collaborator.
- Goldberg H, Kives S, Allen L, Navarro O, Lam C. Pre-operative Risk Stratification of Adnexal Masses in the Pediatric and Adolescent Population: Evaluating the Decision Tree System. Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology. 2019 Dec; 32 (6): pp 633-638. Coauthor or Collaborator.
- Hobson Sr, Kingdom JC, Murji A, Windrim RC, Carvalho JCA, Singh SS, Ziegler C, Birch C, Frecker E, Lim K, Cargill Y, Allen LM. No 383 – Screening, Diagnosis and Management of Placenta Accreta Spectrum Disorders. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Canada. 2019 Jul; 41 (7): pp 1035-1049. Senior Responsible Author.
- Jacobsen M, Bernardini M, Sobel ML, Kim RH, McCuaig J, Allen L. No. 366-Gynaecologic Management of Hereditary Breast and Ovarian Cancer. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Canada 2018 Nov; 40 (11): pp 1497-1510. Coauthor or Collaborator.