Visiting a Patient
This section will give you information about the visiting hours and guidelines in place at SickKids.
COVID-19 family and visitor restrictions
SickKids is closely monitoring the COVID-19 situation. Please check our COVID-19 Information Hub often for the latest updates on clinical services, access to the hospital, and how we are keeping our patients, families and staff safe.
Please note our current family and visitor restrictions:
- Two caregivers may accompany patients in all areas of the hospital.
- For inpatient units (patients staying on a unit), two designated caregivers may stay with their child in the hospital during daytime hours but only one designated caregiver may stay overnight (9 p.m. to 6 a.m.).
- Siblings and other visitors are not allowed but some exceptions may apply. We appreciate that this restriction may require you to make childcare arrangements for siblings, and we thank you for your understanding during this challenging time. Please speak with your health-care team if you have any questions.
For the protection of everyone at SickKids, the current family presence and visitor restrictions will remain in place until further notice. As a children’s hospital, there are additional safety factors we must consider:
- Some SickKids patients are unable to get vaccinated at this time.
- Many SickKids patients may be more vulnerable to infections including COVID-19.
- Limited space makes it challenging for everyone to stay physically distanced when there are more people in the hospital.
- We always strive to maximize safety, and combining vaccination with other infection prevention and control measures provides higher protection than either one alone.
- SickKids is a unique health-care facility and offers services not available anywhere else nearby - outbreaks could severely impact patient care.
For these reasons, self screening, family presence and visitor restrictions, masking and distancing remain in effect. Thank you for your cooperation.
Please review our COVID-19 Information Hub for the latest updates to visitor restrictions. Below is our typical approach to visiting at SickKids.
Parents and caregivers are not considered visitors. You are welcome to be with your child at any time of the day or night.
Visiting hours for others are from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Visitors need to check in with the unit clerk before going to a patient’s room. Please check with your unit about visiting guidelines, including age requirements for visitors and the number of visitors allowed at a time.
Can I visit if I am sick?
Do not visit the hospital if you are sick or have been sick in the last week.
Family members and children over 12 years of age should check themselves for the following symptoms before they come to SickKids:
- new or unexplained cough
- unexplained shortness of breath
- diarrhea or vomiting
- runny nose/sneezing
Visitors 12 years of age and younger will be checked to make sure they are healthy before being allowed to visit patients.
Is there anything I should not bring to SickKids?
Yes, please do not bring the following because they may be unsafe for our patients:
- latex balloons
- small toys that can be swallowed
- toys that make sparks
- food with nuts
- fresh flowers or plants
Can I take photos or videos?
Please do not take photographs or videos of other patients or their families and please ask permission before taking a photo or video of a staff member.
Do not post photos/videos of staff, other patients or their families on the Internet without consent.
Are assistance dogs allowed in the hospital?
Assistance dogs for people with disabilities are allowed at SickKids. Please make sure they are clean and have up-to-date immunizations.
No smoking on our property
Smoking is not allowed anywhere on SickKids property, including: 1) the outdoor areas around the Elizabeth Street, Gerrard Street and University Avenue entrances; 2) the driveways, steps, paths, gardens, seating areas and front lawn leading to the city-owned sidewalks; 3) the parking garage; and 4) on city property within a 9-metre radius (approximately 30 feet) of any hospital doorway.
To reduce the potential for adverse health effects related to the use of fragrances, please do not wear, use or apply fragrances while at SickKids.
Find information on available parking at SickKids, city street parking, parking costs, parking passes, and more.