Research Institute Equity, Diversity & Inclusion
Collaboration and diversity are two essential components driving research excellence at SickKids today. We believe that an equitable and inclusive culture empowers our scientists and staff to freely explore and express their ideas without fear, which has consistently led to new ideas and innovations.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) at SickKids outlines our initiatives and interventions towards creating a diverse research environment. The RI EDI office ensures everyone feels valued and recognized through:
- Promoting diversity awareness and knowledge
- Strengthening employee engagement
- Identifying and executing activities that support equity, diversity and inclusion
- Reducing systemic biases and barriers preventing inclusive workplaces
- Enabling the recruitment and retention of a highly skilled and diverse workforce
- Aligning the EDI Action Plan with Canada Research Chair Program (CRCP) targets
- Developing data-driven policy
For the SickKids RI's EDI strategy, including 2020 objectives and initiatives, download the full report.
Dialogues in Diversity Digital Series
2021: Centering EDI in PaEDIatric Medical Research
Dialogues in Diversity is a free continuing medical education series, which assembles leading academics, clinician-scientists, EDI practitioners and social justice advocates to examine various aspects of current and emerging priorities in health-care, focused on paediatric health. The series explores how an EDI lens, and EDI best practice and principles can be integrated into research design and praxis to impact equitable health outcomes. In addition to cutting edge theory, the series provides practical ideas and actionable insights to integrate considerations of equity across the health-care ecosystem; towards a more equitable, diverse, and inclusive health-care system.
The 2021 Series: Centering EDI in PaEDIatric Health Research will focus on various social determinants of health, highlight issues of disparity, and offer critical insight to develop frameworks to increase access, remove barriers and improve health outcomes. Attendees will have an opportunity to join an inter and multi-disciplinary health community, working towards inclusive health-care provision. Upon completion of the series, participants will be better equipped to address EDI issues in their practice to positively impact patient care.
- September 21, 2021: Not Reinventing the Medicine Wheel: Centering Indigenous Approaches to Health Care and Well-Being
- October 12, 2021: Life on the Spectrum: Disparities in Autism and Delivery of Care in Children and Adolescents
- November 2, 2021: STEMming the Pipeline: Enhancing Diversity in the Health Sciences
2020: Explorations of the EDI Implications of COVID-19
In 2020, the first Dialogues in Diversity: Explorations of the EDI Implications of COVID-19 webinar series featured conversations among leading academics, EDI practitioners, and social justice advocates on the realities of COVID-19 and the new challenges we face today and in the future. The series focused on five broad thematic areas in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic, including mental health and wellness; women, gender and sexual diversity; health inequity, discrimination, xenophobia and allyship; work and accommodation; and human rights.