Family Advisory Network
At SickKids, partnership is about engaging children and families, according to their preference, in an authentic way. This means working hand-in-hand with patients and their families to bring their voices to the table, to learn from their experiences navigating care, and to seek their input in the design of our services and spaces, and in priority-setting and policy-making.
The Family Advisory Network (FAN) is a group of patients, family members and caregivers who volunteer their time in person and from home to make SickKids a better place. Advisors provide a unique perspective and make a difference at all levels of the hospital. For example, they can impact the way staff care for patients at the bedside, advise on the design of our spaces, and lead discussions in development of hospital policies and procedures.
Apply now: We are looking for new advisors!
Expand the sections below to learn more about joining our Family Advisory Network at SickKids, including qualifications and necessary experience.
- Are you a current or former patient of SickKids?
- Are you a family member/caregiver involved in the care of a patient (includes parents, grandparents, siblings, etc.) and have experience with SickKids in the last five years?
- Are you interested in working with staff and other families?
- Are you committed to improving the experience of all patients and families?
If you answered yes to most of these, get involved!
- Be a patient, former patient, or a family member/caregiver involved in the care of a patient (includes parents, grandparents, siblings, etc.) and have experience at SickKids in the last five years.
- Value opportunities for ongoing learning and personal growth.
- Be open to listening to different opinions and ideas.
- Be interested in partnering with staff and other families.
- Be committed to improving the experience of all patients and families.
- Respect privacy and confidentiality.
There are a variety of ways that we engage patients, families and caregivers here at SickKids.
Expand the sections below to browse our separate advisory councils for both children and families.
Kids Helping Kids
The Children’s Council is a group of patients and siblings, ages nine to 17, who work together to make SickKids a better place. Their goal is to centre the child and youth voice and perspective in all SickKids programs and projects. They provide feedback on hospital initiatives, and even lead select projects that make the patient and family experience better.
The Children’s Council is looking for new members!
- Are you between the ages of nine and 17?
- Do you work well with others in a group?
- Do you have great ideas for positive change at SickKids?
- Do you want to learn new things about the hospital?
- Do you have a desire to help others?
- Would you be able to attend meetings on the 4th Tuesday evening of every month?
Nominate yourself or someone you know to be on the Children's Council.
The Family-Centred Care Advisory Council (FCCAC) is a council comprised of Patient and Family Advisors and staff who are committed to enhancing child and family-centred care at SickKids. The FCCAC meet regularly to advise on various hospital policies, initiatives, and plans.
For additional information about the Family Advisory Network and our programs and initiatives, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.