- Staff Paediatrician, Division of Paediatric Medicine
- MD, M.Sc., FRCPC
- Alternate Contact Name:
- Sarah Fortino
- Alternate Phone:
- 416-813-7654 ext. 224688
- Alternate Email:
- U of T Positions:
- Associate Professor, Department of Paediatrics
- Chair Positions:
- M&M Co-Chair, Division of Paediatric Medicine
Child Health Evaluative Sciences
After training in medicine at Queen's University, Dr. Carolyn Beck completed post-graduate training as co-chief resident in paediatrics at The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids) in Toronto in 2002. In 2004, she completed a Restracomp and CIHR-funded fellowship in Academic General Paediatrics at SickKids, and an M.Sc. degree in Health Research Methodology from McMaster University.
She is currently an Academic Clinician and Inpatient Unit Director in the Division of Paediatric Medicine at SickKids, and Associate Professor at the University of Toronto. Carolyn’s academic interests focus on assessing and improving the quality of in-patient paediatric care. Specifically, she has studied IV fluid-related hyponatremia, and quality improvement in the management of children with newly diagnosed, typical ITP and of hospitalized patients with Sickle Cell Disease.
Dr. Beck has collaborated on research to improve patient handoff; on a prospective trial comparing intravenous fluids in hospitalized patients; and is active in both leading and collaborating on research and quality improvement related to children with immune thrombocytopenia.
Education and experience
- October 2004: M.Sc., McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Master's of Science. Subject: Clinical Health Sciences (Health Research Methodology)
- May 1998: MD, Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario. Doctor of Medicine
- June 1994: Arts. Sc., McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario. Bachelor of Arts and Science
- 2004–Present: Staff Paediatrician (Academic Clinician), Paediatric Medicine, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, ON
- 2018: President’s Award (to Complex Care Team) – The Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto
- 2018: POWER Award (Postgraduate clinical teaching) - The Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto
- 2014–2017: PCMCH (Provincial Council for Maternal and Child Health), Paediatric Levels of Care Working Group, Member (by invitation)
- 2014–2016: PCMCH (Provincial Council for Maternal and Child Health), Sickle Cell QBP (Quality- Based Procedures)
Expert Panel, Member (by invitation)
- 2013: Junior Faculty Award for Clinical Excellence, Department of Paediatrics, SickKids, University of Toronto
- Beck CE, Carcao M, Cada M, Porter S, Blanchette VS, Parkin PC. A quality improvement bundle to improve informed choice for children with typical, newly diagnosed immune thrombocytopenia. Journal of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology. 2018 Nov; 40(8):e537-e543.
- Friedman JN, Beck CE, DeGroot J, Geary DF, Sklansky DJ, Freedman SB. Comparison of Isotonic and Hypotonic Intravenous Maintenance Fluids: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Pediatrics 2015: 169 (5): pp 445-51.
- Beck CE, Boydell KM, Stasiulis E, Blanchette VS, Llewellyn-Thomas H, Birken CS, Breakey VR, Parkin PC: Shared decision making in the management of children with newly diagnosed immune thrombocytopenia. Journal of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology 2014: 36 (7): pp 559-65.
- Beck CE, Parkin PC, Friedman JN: Pediatric hospitalist medicine: an overview and a perspective from Toronto, Canada. Clinical Pediatrics 2008: 47 (6): pp 546-548.
- Beck CE, Nathan PC, Parkin PC, Blanchette VS, Macarthur C: Corticosteroids versus Intravenous Immune Globulin for the Treatment of Acute Immune Thrombocytopenic Purpura in Children: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. Journal of Pediatrics 2005: 147 (4): pp 521-7.
- March 2019–2021: Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) Grant. Management of Bleeding Emergencies in Patients with Immune Thrombocytopenia. Arnold D (PI), Co-applicants: Breakey V, Gupta S, Guyatt G, Pai M, Paynter D, deWit K. Beck CE (Collaborator)
- 2018: Creative Professional Activity Grants, Paediatric Consultants Partnership, Department of Paediatrics, The Hospital for Sick Children. Evaluation of a new clinical management guideline for children with typical, newly diagnosed immune thrombocytopenia: a before and after study. Beck CE (PI), Cada M, Friedman JN, Litwin S, Mizzi T, Moretti ME, Parkin PC, Carcao M.