- Staff Physician, Cardiac Critical Care Unit, Department of Critical Care Medicine
- MD, FRCPC, M.Sc.
- Alternate Contact Name:
- Sheila Mondonedo
- Alternate Phone:
- 416-8137654 ext. 202766
- Alternate Email:
- REACH Profile:
- Alejandro Floh's REACH profile
- U of T Positions:
- Assistant Professor, Department of Paediatrics
Medical Lead, Critical Care Nutrition Committee
Physician Lead, Utilization Management Committee
SickKids Research Institute
Associate Fellowship/Residency Program Director
Department of Critical Care
Head, Cardiac Critical Care Subspecialty Fellowship
Department of Critical Care
Dr. Alejandro Floh is a staff physician in the Cardiac intensive care unit at The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids) and an assistant professor in Paediatrics at the University of Toronto. He gained his medical degree from the University of Toronto, and went on to complete a Residency in Paediatrics at McMaster University. He returned to SickKids for fellowships in Cardiology and Critical Care.
Dr. Floh holds many roles within the hospital and the Critical Care Medicine Department. On a hospital level, he is currently the Physician Lead of the Utilization Management Committee. On a department level, he is the Medical Lead of the Nutrition Committee, head of the Cardiac Critical Care subspecialty fellowship, and Associate Director of the Critical Care Residency and Fellowship training programs.
Dr. Floh’s research focuses on critical nutrition and metabolism, particularly in children following cardiopulmonary bypass. He has conducted observational and interventional trials evaluating postoperative feeding and caloric delivery.
- 2011–2014: Master in Science (Clinical Epidemiology and Health Care Research), Health Policy, Management and Evaluation, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- 1997–2001: MD, Honours, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- 1994–1997: B.Sc., High Distinction, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Postgraduate, Research and Specialty Training
- 2013 Sep 16–18: Pediatric Bronchoscopy Course, European Respiratory Society, Paris, France
- 2010–2012: Harris-Kassie Research Fellow, Labatt Heart Centre, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Canada
- 2008–2010: Fellow, Department of Critical Care Medicine, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Canada
- 2005–2008: Fellow, Department of Cardiology, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Canada
- 2001–2005: Resident (Chief resident throughout third year), Department of Pediatrics, McMaster University Medical Center, Hamilton, Canada
- 2014 Nov–Present: Staff Physician – Cardiac Critical Care, Department of Critical Care Medicine, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- 2012–2014 Nov: Associate Staff Physician – Cardiac Critical Care, Department of Critical Care Medicine, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- 2010–2012: Clinical Associate – Cardiac Critical Care, Department of Critical Care Medicine, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- 2008–2012: Locum Paediatrician, Toronto East General Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- 2007–2012: Locum Paediatrician, William Osler Health Centre, Brampton, Ontario, Canada
- 2005–2011: Locum Paediatrician, McMaster Children’s Medical Center, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
- 2005–2011: Locum Paediatrician, St. Joseph’s Hospital, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
- 2005–2007: Locum Paediatrician, Royal Victoria Hospital, Barrie, Ontario, Canada
- 2005–2007: Clinical Associate, Department of Neonatology, McMaster Children’s Medical Center, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
- 2014: Frank S. Rutledge Award of Excellence in Critical Care Teaching (Nominee), Critical Care Medicine, London Health Sciences Centre, London, Ontario, Canada
- Floh A, Herridge J, Fan CP, Manlhiot C, McCrindle B, Van Arsdell G, Balmer-Minnes D, Schwartz S. Rapid Advancement in Enteral Nutrition Does Not Affect Systemic Inflammation and Insulin Homeostasis Following Pediatric Cardiopulmonary Bypass Surgery. 2020 Jul;21(7):e441-e448; 2020 Mar 17[Online ahead of print]. First Author.
- Floh AA, McCrindle BW, Manlhiot C, Nakada M, La Rotta G, Van Arsdell G, Schwartz SM. Feeding May Modulate the Relationship Between Systemic Inflammation, Insulin Resistance, and Poor Outcome Following Cardiopulmonary Bypass for Pediatric Cardiac Surgery. JPEN Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition. 2020 Feb;44(2):308-317. 2019 Mar 18. [Epub ahead of print]. Principal Author.
- Stahel P, Lee SJ, Sud SK, Floh A, Dash S. Intranasal Glucagon Acutely Increases Energy Expenditure without Inducing Hyperglycemia in Overweight/Obese Adults. Diabetes, Obesity, and Metabolism. 2019 Jun;21(6):1357-1364. Epub 2019 Mar 4. Co-Author.
- Gionfriddo A, Nonoyama ML, Laussen PC, Cox PN, Clark M, Floh AA. Retrospective Application of New Pediatric Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia Criteria Identifies a High-Risk Population. Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2018 Jun;19(6):507-512. Co-Author.
- Floh AA, Zafurallah I, MacDonald C, Honjo O, Fan CP, Laussen P. The Advantage of Early Plication in Children Diagnosed with Diaphragm Paresis. J Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. 2017 Nov;154(5):1715-1721.e4. Epub 2017 Jun 15. Co-Principal Author.
- 2017 Jan–2023 Dec: Collaborator. Core clinical site in a multi-centre network performing clinical studies, particularly clinical trials, in pediatric cardiology. Pediatric Heart Network – The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto. 5UG1H135680. PI: McCrindle BW, Mital S, Schwartz SM. Collaborator(s): Floh AA.
- 2014 Jul–2015 Dec: Co-Investigator. Randomized study of early nutritional delivery on glucose control, insulin resistance and systemic inflammation following pediatric cardiac surgery. Pediatric Heart Network Scholars Grant.