Dr. Fuller is a paediatrician and early career clinical researcher at The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids). Following her paediatric residency at SickKids, she pursued formal research training through a fellowship in Academic General Pediatrics and a Master of Science degree in Clinical Research Methods at the Children’s Hospital at Montefiore/Albert Einstein College of Medicine in Bronx, New York. She is engaged in program research aimed at understanding income-related inequities in child health, and building knowledge to support clinical and policy-level interventions to reduce inequities
Dr. Fuller’s research is focused on understanding the effects of poverty-related risks (material hardship, early adversity) on child health and development over the life course, with a particular interest the cumulative vulnerabilities faced by children with chronic health conditions and their families.
Her research to date has highlighted the struggles facing patients and their parents. Dr. Fuller also found that there are critical buffers at the family and community level that may afford protection to vulnerable children for certain outcomes. She is building on this foundation by using population level data to better understand parental caregiver stresses and health sequelae for parents, as well as opportunities in the paediatric clinical encounter to support parents. Dr. Fuller is expanding her focus from specific poverty-related risks to studies using large cohort data to measure inequities in major child health outcomes in Canada, with the goal of informing meaningful clinical and policy-level interventions to reduce inequities.
- 2016–2018: Master of Science (MS) in Clinical Research Methods, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York, USA
- 2007–2010: Doctor of Medicine (MD), McMaster University, Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
- 2002–2006: Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.), University of British Columbia, Faculty of Land and Food Systems, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- 2018–Present: Staff Paediatrician, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- 2016–2018: Attending Paediatrician, Children’s Hospital at Montefiore, Bronx, New York, USA
- March 2020–Present: Lecturer, Department of Paediatrics, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- 2017–2018: Instructor in Pediatrics, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York, USA
- Aug 2016–June 2018: Attending Pediatrician, Children's Hospital at Montefiore, Bronx, New York, United States of America
- Feb 2017–June 2018: Instructor, Department of Pediatrics, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York, United States of America
- 2018: Fellow’s Clinical Research Award, Society for Paediatric Research.
Awarded for best clinical abstract at the Paediatric Academic Societies annual meeting in 2018. Total amount: $1000 USD
- 2017: Research Award for Best Abstract by a Fellow, Academic Paediatric Association.
Awarded for best abstract at the Paediatric Academic Societies annual meeting in 2017. Total amount: $250 USD
- 2018: Paediatric Trainee Research Night Award for Best Presentation, New York Academy of Medicine, New York, New York, United States of America
- 2017: Region II/III Meeting Award for Best Presentation by a Trainee, Academic Paediatric Association, New York, New York, United States of America
- Fuller A, Garg A, Brown N, Tripodis Y, Oyeku S, Gross RS. Relationships between Material Hardship, Resilience, and Health Care Use. Official Journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics February 2020, 145(2)
- Fuller A, Brown N, Grado L, Oyeku S, Gross RS. Material Hardships and Health Care Utilization among Low-Income Children with Special Health Care Needs. Academic Pediatrics 2019 September-October; 19 (7) 733-739
- Fuller A, Messito MJ, Mendelsohn AL, Oyeku SO, Gross RS. Prenatal Material Hardships and Infant Regulatory Capacity at 10 Months Old in Low-Income Hispanic Mother-Infant Pairs. Academic Pediatrics 2018 November-December;18:897-904.
- Fuller A, Maguire JL, Carsley S, Chen Y, Lebovic G, Omand J, Parkin PC, and Birken CS; TARGetKids! Collaboration. Difficulty buying food, BMI, and eating habits in young children. Canadian Journal of Public Health. 2018 Jan 22; 108(5-6):e497-e502
See a full list of Anne Fuller's publications
- 2017: Strategies for Improving Care for Children with Special Health Care Needs.
Principal Investigator: Fuller AE, with Mentor: Gross RS
Academic Pediatric Association Young Investigator Award for Evidence Based Health Supervision Using Bright Futures
- 2012: Food Insecurity, Nutrition and Body Mass in Early Childhood: A TARGet Kids! Study.
Principal Investigator: Fuller AE, with Mentor: Birken CS
Academic Pediatric Association Resident Investigator Award