Program Director, Neuromuscular and Movement Disorders Fellowships
Dr. Gonorazky is an academic-clinician focus on the care of patients suffering neuromuscular disorders.
Gonorazky graduated from the University of Buenos Aires and finished his residency in adult Neurology at the Ramos Mejia Hospital. He started to work as an undergraduate student at the Myasthenia Gravis foundation where he developed his interested in neuromuscular disorders. After his residency his completed an adult neuromuscular fellowship at the Hospital Italiano of Buenos Aires. On 2014 he came to The Hospital of Sick Children to complete a paediatric neuromuscular fellowship
During these years he focus his research in new methods of diagnosis in congenital myopathies under the mentorship of Dr. James J. Dowling.
Currently he has organized the multidisciplinary program for the care of patients with Spinal Muscular atrophy.
The overall goal of Gonorazky's research program is to characterize childhood neuromuscular diseases and discover potential therapies for muscle disorders. We utilize a combined approach that includes new gene discovery (using next generation sequencing technology, in particular RNAseq), cell culture and animal models (mice) implementation of muscle MRI and use of gene modeling (CRISPR/Cas9).
Education and experience
- 2019–present: Staff Physician, Neuromuscular and Movement disorders specialist, Division of Neurology, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, ON
- 2019–present: Assistant Professor, Division of Neurology, The Hospital for Sick Children
- 2019–present: Neuromuscular Program Coordinator, Division of Neurology, The Hospital for Sick Children
- 2019–present: Adult Neurology Resident Coordinator for the Division of Neurology, The Hospital for Sick Children
- 2012–2014: Staff Clinician, Division of Neurology, FLENI, Bs. As. Argentina
- 2011–2014: Staff Clinician, Division of Neurology, Neurophysiology, Hospital Otamendi, Bs. As, Argentina.
- 2018: Elsevier big prize winner best poster presentation 23rd World Muscle Society meeting, Mendoza Argentina
- 2017: “Fellow teaching award” given by the Division of Neurology at The Hospital for Sick Children,
- 2016: “Fellow teaching award” given by the Division of Neurology at The Hospital for Sick Children
- Drisapersen associated with elevated serum factor VIII levels in Duchenne muscular dystrophy. McMillan HJ, Amid A, Gonorazky HD, Almobarak S, Campbell C. Neurology 2020 Mar 24;94(12):538-540.
- Signs and Symptoms in Congenital Myopathies. Gonorazky HD, Dowling JJ, Volpatti JR, Vajsar J. Semin Pediatr Neurol 2019 Apr;29:3-11.
- “Expanding the Boundaries of RNA Sequencing as a Diagnostic Tool for Rare Mendelian Disease” Gonorazky HD, Naumenko S, Ramani AK, Nelakuditi V, Mashouri P, Wang P, Kao D, Ohri K, Viththiyapaskaran S, Tarnopolsky MA, Mathews KD, Moore SA, Osorio AN, Villanova D, Kemaladewi DU, Cohn RD, Brudno M, Dowling JJ. Am J Hum Genet. 2019 Mar 7;104(3):466-483.
- “Triple A syndrome presenting as complicated hereditary spastic paraplegia” Leveille E, Gonorazky HD, Rioux MF, Hazrati LN, Ruskey JA, Carnevale A, Spiegelman D, Dionne-Laporte A, Rouleau GA, Yoon G, Gan-Or Z. Mol Genet Genomic Med. 2018 Nov;6(6):1134-113.
- “Uniparental disomy unveils a novel recessive mutation in POMT2” Brun, BN, Willer T, Darbro BW, Gonorazky HD, Naumenko S, Dowling JJ, Campbell KP, Moore SA, Mathews KD. Neuromuscul Disord. 2018 Jul;28(7): 592-596
- 2020–2022: MDC Translational Science Seed Grant Total (100.000 CAD) CRISPR mediated gene editing: a novel therapeutic strategy for nemaline myopathy Role Investigator. PI J.J. Dowling
- 2016–2017: Restracomp Award, Research training center, The Hospital for Sick Children ($60,000 CAD).