Dr. Anna Heath is a Scientist in the Child Health and Evaluative Sciences Program at SickKids Research Institute, an Assistant Professor in the Division of Biostatistics, University of Toronto and an Honorary Research Associate in the Department of Statistical Science, University College London, UK.
Originally from Bristol, UK, her first degree, in Mathematics with French Language, was completed in 2014 at the University of Sheffield. As part of this program, she spent a year studying at the école nationale de la statistique et l’analyse de l’information in Rennes, France. She then moved to London, UK, to undertake a PhD in Statistical Science at University College London, completed in 2018. Following her PhD, she moved to Toronto, Canada to work as a Biostatistician at the Hospital for Sick Children, to develop innovative trial designs for four pediatric clinical trials as part of the KidsCAN PERC Innovative Pediatric Clinical Trials Network.
Dr. Heath’s research focuses on developing new, innovative statistical methods to design, prioritise and analyse clinical research within a Bayesian framework. She is particularly interested in applying methods from decision theory, the science of determining the best course of action when the consequence of each action is uncertain, to the conception, design and analysis of clinical trials.
Within this framework, her research focuses on a concept known as Value of Information, which can be used to design research that supports decision-making and offers value for money. Using decision theory and Value of Information in practice requires a broad range of interrelated research topics including health economic decision modelling, Bayesian expert elicitation, utility theory, meta-analysis, statistical computation methods, clinical trial design and Bayesian statistical methods. Dr. Heath is a founding member of the ConVOI group who aim to improving the practical application of Value of Information methods through the development of guidance, software and novel methodologies.
Education and experience
- 2020–Present: Scientist, Child Health Evaluative Sciences, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, ON
- 2019–Present: Assistant Professor, Division of Biostatistics, Dalla Lana School of Public Health, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON
- 2018–Present: Honorary Research Associate, Department of Statistical Science, University College London, UK
- 2018–2020: PhD Biostatistician, Child Health Evaluative Sciences, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, ON
- 2017–2018: Research Assistant, Department of Statistical Science, University College London, London, UK
- 2014–2018: PhD (Statistical Science), Department of Statistical Science, University College London, London, UK.
- 2010–2014: MMath (Mathematics with French Language), School of Mathematics and Statistics, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
- 2019: Best Short Course (Research Prioritisation and Study Design using Value of Information Analysis) – Society of Medical Decision Making
- 2018: Lee B. Lusted Student Prize (First Place) – Society of Medical Decision Making
- 2017: Associate Fellowship – Higher Education Academy
- 2016: Costas Goutis Prize – University College London
- 2015: Best Poster – The Autumn Meeting on Latent Gaussian Models