Julia Sorbara received her undergraduate degree in Physiology from McGill University and her medical degree from the University of Ottawa in 2009. She trained in Paediatrics and Paediatric Endocrinology at The Hospital for Sick Children.
During her fellowship, she earned a M.Sc. from the Institute of Medical Sciences at the University of Toronto. She joined the Division of Endocrinology in 2019.
Dr. Sorbara has an interest in clinical research related to the care of gender incongruent youth. Her research has focused on the mental health of this population, as well as exploring factors that influence when these youth present to gender-affirming medical care.
Education and experience
- 2009–2013: Doctor of Medicine, The University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario
- 2013–2016: Resident, Paediatrics, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario
- 2016–2019: Fellow, Paediatric Endocrinology and Metabolism, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario
- 2017–2019: Master of Science Degree, Institute of Medical Sciences, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON
- 2019–Present: Staff Physician, Endocrinology, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario
- 2019–Present: Lecturer, Paediatrics, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario
- 2020–Present: Project Investigator, SickKids Research Institute, Toronto, Ontario
- Sorbara JC, Chiniara LN, Thompson S, Palmert MR. Mental health and timing of gender-affirming care. Pediatrics. 2020 October 1; 146(4): e20193600. Principal Author.
- Sowemimo J, Sorbara J, Wasserman J. Endocrinology in: The Hospital for Sick Children Handbook of Pediatrics 12th Edition. (Editors: Silver S, Schonfeld D, Neville S, Diskin C.) Elsevier, Toronto, 2019 (expected.) Submitted for publication. Co-Author.
- Sorbara J, Wherrett D. Disorder of Sex Development in: Fanaroff and Martin’s Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine: Diseases of the Fetus and Infant 11th Edition. (Editors: Martin RJ, Fanaroff AA, Walsh MC.) Elsevier, Philadelphia, 2019. Co-Author.