- Staff Ophthalmologist, Department of Ophthalmology and Vision Sciences
- MBBS, MD
- Alternate Contact Name:
- Wendy Geira Heino
- Alternate Phone:
- Alternate Email:
- U of T Positions:
- Associate Professor, Department of Ophthalmology and Vision Sciences
Medical Director, Visual Electrophysiology Unit
Department of Ophthalmology and Vision Sciences
Genetics & Genome Biology
Dr. Ajoy Vincent is trained in the field of Eye Genetics and Electrophysiology. He cares for patients with isolated and complex inherited retinal dystrophies (IRDs). He also serves as the Medical Director of Visual Electrophysiology Unit (VEU) at SickKids. Electrophysiology tests enables the diagnosis and prognosis of various retinal and visual pathway disorders. He is actively involved in teaching Ophthalmology residents and fellows at SickKids.
Dr. Vincent’s research endeavors include discovering novel genes underlying inherited retinal dystrophies (IRDs), characterizing novel genotype-phenotype correlations in IRDs, uncovering disease pathways and mechanisms in IRDs, and conducting innovative pediatric clinical trials; all with the aim of improving patient outcomes. He also has expertise in developing specialized electrophysiology techniques and functional imaging as in vivo markers for systemic and neurodegenerative disorders. He also has expertise in mice eye phenotyping to develop in vivo retinal biomarkers and is also keenly interested in developing animal models for hereditary macular dystrophies.
- 2019: Top 5 TORIC Lecturer Award. Department of ophthalmology, University of Toronto, Canada.
- 2017: Career Development Award, Foundation Fighting Blindness U.S
- 2016: Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO) International Travel Grant Award, U.S.
- 2011: Eberhard Dodt Award at International Society for Clinical Electrophysiology of Vision Symposium (ISCEV), Canada.
- 2010: Foundation Fighting Blindness Canada International Travel Grant, 15th International Conference on Retinal Degeneration, Canada.
- 2009: International Council of Ophthalmology Fellowship Grant for Electrophysiology, Moorfields Eye Hospital, U.K.
- 2009: Best Paper in Glaucoma Session at 2nd Asia ARVO, Hyderabad, India.
- 2006: ISCEV International Travel Grant, 44th ISCEV Symposium, France.