Project Investigator, Genetics & Genome Biology
Dr. Jonathan Wasserman joined the endocrine staff at SickKids in July 2012 after completing a clinical and research fellowship in the Division of Endocrinology. He undertook his medical training at Harvard Medical School and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and subsequently pursued an internship and residency in paediatrics at Children’s Hospital Boston where he also served as a General Paediatric Hospitalist. He previously earned a PhD and completed postdoctoral training in genetics at the University of Cambridge, England.
Dr. Wasserman’s research focuses primarily on paediatric thyroid cancer and spans both clinical and translational domains. Thyroid carcinoma is the most common endocrine malignancy and is the most common cancer in adolescent and young women in Canada. Although frequently more extensive and aggressive than thyroid cancer in older adults, paediatric and adolescent thyroid carcinoma is generally associated with excellent prognosis.
Dr. Wasserman’s research aims to identify the biological underpinnings of this behaviour and to identify improved treatment and follow-up paradigms for paediatric and adolescent patients with thyroid malignancies. His team is using a number of research modalities to explore this including both genomic approaches as well as population-level databases.
Education and experience
- 1999–2003: Doctor of Medicine Cum Laude, Health Sciences and Technology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, U.S
- 2003–2006: Resident, Paediatrics, Children’s Hospital Boston/Boston Medical Center, Boston U.S
- 2008–2012: Clinical Fellow, Paediatric Endocrinology, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, ON
- 2012–2019: Assistant Professor, Department of Paediatrics, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON
- 2012–Present: Staff Physician, Endocrinology, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, ON
- 2012–Present: Project Investigator, SickKids Research Institute, Toronto, ON
- 2019–Present: Associate Professor, Department of Paediatrics, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON