Dr. Sheila Weitzman is a senior staff oncologist in the Division of Haematology/Oncology and Professor of Paediatrics at the University of Toronto. She received her undergraduate medical training and postgraduate training in paediatrics in South Africa. Following a haematology/oncology fellowship at The Hospital for Sick Children, she joined the full-time faculty in the Division. Dr. Weitzman specializes in the field of histiocytic disorders in children and childhood leukemia/ lymphoma. She has 180 peer reviewed publications, has written 30 book chapters and has edited a book on Histiocytic disorders. She is a member of the steering committee of the non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma committee of the Children’s Oncology Group (COG) and the steering committee of the rare Histiocytic disorders committee of the International Histiocyte society.
She is presently serving a second three-year term on the Ontario Cancer Research Ethics Board and is the Editorial reviewer of the National Cancer Institute (Bethesda) PDQ On Pediatric NHL (2014, 2017, 2020) and Histiocytic disorders (2014, 2017).
Education and experience
- 1968: M.B., B.Ch., University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
- 1969: Intern, General Surgery,Johannesburg General Hospital, South Africa
- 1969: Internal Medicine, Johannesburg General Hospital, South Africa
- 1973: FCP (SA), College of Physicians of South Africa, Subject: Paediatrics
- 1979: LMCC, Medical Council of Canada
- 1980: FRCP(C), Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, Subject: Paediatrics
- 1970: Senior Houseman, Transvaal Memorial Hospital for Children, Johannesburg, South Africa Subject: Paediatrics
- 1970: Senior Houseman, Johannesburg General Hospital, Subject: Cardiology
- 1971–1973: Resident, Baragwanath Hospital and Transvaal Memorial Hospital for Children, Johannesburg, South Africa, Subject: Pediatrics
- 1974: General Practice Requirement for registration as Paediatrician in South Africa
- 1975–1978: Staff Paediatrics, Transvaal Memorial Hospital for Children, Johannesburg, South Africa
- 1978–1979: Fellow, Haematology/Oncology, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario
- 1980: Fellow, Laboratory Haematology, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ontario
- 1980–1981: Senior Fellow, Haematology/Oncology, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario
- 1981–present: Staff physician, Division of Paediatric Hematology/Oncology, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario
- 1981–1989: Assistant Professor, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario
- 1989–2001: Associate Professor, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario
- 2001–present: Professor, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario
- 2010: Recipient of The Excellence in Post Graduate Medical Education Award from the University of Toronto
- 2007: Recipient of the Division’s Alvin Zipursky teaching award
- 2006: Recipient of The Hospital for Sick Children Richard Rowe award for clinical excellence
- 2003: Recipient of Israel Cancer Research Fund Women of Action Award
- 2000: Recipient of The Hospital for Sick Children Claus Wirsig Humanitarian Award
- 1999: Recipient of the Division’s Alvin Zipursky teaching award
- Gupta S, Weitzman S: Primary and secondary hemophagocytic lymphohistocytosis: Clinical features, pathogenesis and therapy. Expert Rev Clin Immunol 2010;6(1):137-54 SRI
- Jordan MA, Allen C, Weitzman S, et al. How I treat hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis. Blood 2011;118(15):4041-52.
- Weitzman S. Approach to hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis syndromes. Am Soc Hematol (ASH) Education Program Book 2011;pp 178-83.
- Abla O, Weitzman S. Treatment of Langerhans cell histiocytosis: role of BRAF/MAPK inhibition. Am Soc Hemato (ASH) Education Program Book. 2015;2015:565-70.
- Truong TH, Alexander S and Weitzman S. Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma of Childhood. In: Neoplastic Diseases of the Blood. P.H. Wiernik et al. (eds.), Springer International Publishing. 2018 DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-64263-5_46
- Arico M, Van Den Bos C, Weitzman S. Childhood Histiocytoses. In: Oxford Textbook of Cancer in Children, Biondi M et al (eds). 2019