- Staff Physician, Division of Haematology/Oncology
- M.Sc., MD
- U of T Positions:
- Associate Professor, Department of Paediatrics
Director, Paediatric Haematology/Oncology Training Program, Division of Haematology/Oncology
Project Investigator, Child Health Evaluative Sciences
Dr. Suzan Williams completed a B.Sc. at McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario in 1993. In 1997 she completed medical school at the University of Toronto in Toronto, Ontario. She completed paediatric and paediatric haematology oncology training at McMaster University Medical Centre in Hamilton, Ontario in 2003. She joined the full-time faculty in the Paediatric Hemostasis Program of the Hematology section in the Division of Hematology/Oncology at The Hospital for Sick Children, in 2003, as a clinician specialist in the Department of Paediatrics, and an Assistant Professor at the University of Toronto. She completed a M.Sc. in Health Research Methodology at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario in 2006, and a M.Sc. in Haemoglobinopathy through the University College London, London, United Kingdom in 2011.
Dr. Williams’ clinical/research interest is in the area of thrombotic disorders in children.
Education and experience
- 1989–1993: B.Sc., Honours Biology & Psychology, Faculty of Science, Department of Biology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, CA
- 1993–1997: M.D., Doctor of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, CA
- 2003–2006: M.Sc., Health Research Methodology (HRM), Department of Clinical Epidemiology & Biostatistics, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, CA
- 2003–present: Staff Physician, Division of Haematology/Oncology, Department of Paediatrics, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, CA.
- 2003–2016: Assistant Professor, Paediatrics, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, CA
- 2007–present: Staff Physician – Courtesy Privileges, Division of Neonatology, Department of Paediatrics, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, CA
- 2008–present: Project Investigator, Child Health Evaluative Sciences, Research Institute, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, CA
- 2009–2011: M.Sc., Haemoglobinopathy, Institute for Women’s Health, University College London, London, England, EU
- 2016–present: Associate Professor, Paediatric, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, CA.
- 2020–present: Paediatric Haematology/Oncology Training Program Director, Division of Haematology/Oncology, Department of Paediatrics
- 2019-present: Co-chair, Invited Member, Subcommittee Paediatric and Neonatal Thrombosis and Hemostasis, International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis
- 2015–2018: Invited Member, American Society of Hematology (ASH), Venous Thromboembolism in Children Guidelines Committee
- 2015: British Journal of Hematology. Cover image. April 1, 2015. Volume 169 (1)
- 2015: Invited Reviewer, Abstract Review for International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis (ISTH) Congress 2015.
- 2015: Invited Moderator, Transplantation medicine in childhood. State of the Art Lecture. International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis (ISTH) Congress
- 2015: Invited Member, International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis (ISTH), Antithrombin deficiency working group
- 2014–2018: Co-chair, Invited Member, Steering Committee, AstraZeneca HESTIA Study: Ticagrelor in paediatric sickle cell disease (Protocol D5136C00007)
- 2013–present: Invited Member, International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis (ISTH), Pulmonary Embolism Subcommittee
- 2011: International Society on Thrombosis and Hemostasis. Outstanding Poster.
- 2009: International Society on Thrombosis and Hemostasis. Outstanding Poster.
- Manlhiot C, Williams S, Menjak IB, O’Shea S, Chan AK, McCrindle BW, Brandão LR. Characterization of Post-Thrombotic Syndrome in Children with Cardiac Disease. J Pediatr. 2019 Apr;207-42-48 (Epub 2018 Dec 7).
- Avila ML, Pullenayegum E, Williams S, Yue N, Krol P, Brandão LR. Postthrombotic syndrome and other outcomes of lower extremity deep vein thrombosis in children. Blood. 2016 Oct 6;128(14):1862-1869 (Epub 2016 Jul 29).
- Avila ML, Brandão LR, Williams S, Montoya MI, Stinson J, Kiss A, Feldman BM. Development of CAPTSureTM - a new index for the assessment of pediatric postthrombotic syndrome. J Thromb Haemost. 2016 Dec;14(12):2376-2385 (Epub 2016 Nov 23).
- Avila ML, Feldman BM, Williams S, Baena D, Montoya MI, Stinson J, Kiss A, Lara-Corrales I, Brandão LR. Collateral circulation in pediatric post-thrombotic syndrome. Thromb Res. 2016 Aug;144:210-2 (Epub 2016 Jul 4).
- Avila ML, Brandão LR, Williams S, Ward LC, Montoya MI, Stinson J, Kiss A, Lara-Corrales I, Feldman BM. Pediatric post-thrombotic syndrome in children: Toward the development of a new diagnostic and evaluative measurement tool. Thromb Res. 2016 Aug;144:184-91 (Epub 2016 Jul 1).
- 2010–2014: Co-Investigator. Canadian Institute of Health Research (CIHR). Principal Investigator: Kassner A. Collaborators: DeVeber GA, Shroff MM, Williams S.
Description: Assessment of cerebral hemodynamic abnormalities in children with Sickle Cell Disease using quantitative non-invasive MRI measures of vascular reactivity and their relationship to stroke risk.
- 2009–2010: Collaborator. Labatt Family Heart Centre Innovation Fund. Principal Investigator: McCrindle, Brian. Collaborators: Manlhiot C, McCrindle BW, Williams S, Menjak IB, O’Shea S, Chan AK, Brandão LR.
Description: Startup Fund. Prevalence and Characterization of Post–Thrombotic Syndrome after Paediatric Cardiac Surgery.
- 2008–2009: Co-Investigator. Canadian Institute of Health Research (CIHR). Principal Investigator: Kassner A. Collaborators: DeVeber GA, Shroff MM, Williams S. Operating
Description: Quantitative non-invasive MRI measures of cerebral reactivity in children with sickle cell disease: a valuable tool for the assessment of blood vessel function and patient management.
- 2006–2007: Principal Investigator. Williams S. The Hospital for Sick Children.
Description: Pulmonary function post pulmonary embolism.
- 2005–2006: Co-Principal Investigator. Hospital for Sick Children. Co-Principal Investigators: Steele M, Williams S. Collaborators: Rand M, Kirby MA, Kahr W.
Description: Activation of the hemostatic system in children with Sickle Cell Disease.
- 2011–2016: Collaborator. Canadian Institute of Health Research (CIHR), Operating Grant 255075. Principal Investigator: Schultz, Kirk. Collaborators: Mitchell L, Zapittelli M, Baruchel S, Rasseck S, McBride M, Tsuyuki R, Brandão LR, Lee A, Carleton B.
Description: Applying Biomarkers to Long–term Effects in Child and Adolescent Cancer Treatment (ABLE Team).
- 2010: Collaborator. C17 – Paediatric Haematology/Oncology Centers in Canada. Principal Investigator: Athale, Uma. Collaborators: Brandão LR, Halton J, Gibson P, Silva M.
Description: Central Venous Line Dysfunction as a Predictor of Thromboembolism in Children with Cancer
- 2010–2011: Co-Principal Investigator (Site). (Kirby MA & Williams S) National Health Services, Blood and Transplant, British Medical Research Council, University of York. Principal Investigator: Howard J. Malfroy M, Llewelyn C, Choo L, Hodge R, Johnson T, Purohit S, Rees DC, Tillver L, Walker I, Fijnvandraat K, Kirby MA, Spackman E, Davies SC, Williamson LM, Kirby M: Study Chairs: Williamson, L & Davies, SC.
Description: Transfusion Alternatives Pre Operatively in Sickle Cell disease Randomized Controlled Trial (TAPS).
- 2009–2014: Co-Principal Investigator (Site).(Odame I & Williams S) National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI). PI: Ware RE, Davis BR, Adams RJ. Coordinating center: Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Centre. St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, Principal Investigator: Ware, R. NCT01425307. Grant:
Description: TCD with Transfusions Changing to Hydroxyurea (TWiTCH).
- 2004–2009: Co-Principal Investigator (Site).(Kirby M & Williams S) National Institutes of Health, Coordinating center: Washington University School of Medicine. Principal Investigator: Debaun MR, Barton B. Collaborators: Gordon M, McKinstry RC, Noetzel MJ, White DA, Sarnaik SA, Meier ER, Howard TH, Majumdar S, Inusa BPD, Telfer PT, Kirby-Allen M, McCavit TL, Kamdem A, Airewele G, Woods GM, Berman B, Panepinto JA, Fuh BR, Kwiatkowski JL, King AA, Fixler JM, Rhodes MM, Thompson AA, Heiny ME, Redding-Lallinger RC, Kirkham FJ, Dixon N, Gonzalez CE, Kalinyak KA, Quinn CT, Strouse JJ, Miller JP, Lehmann H, Kraut MA, Ball WS, Hirtz D, Casella JF: Principal Investigator: Michael DeBaun.
Description: Silent Infarct Transfusion Trial (SITT).