Refer a Patient
SickKids uses EpicCare Link, a secure web portal that allows community health-care providers to electronically refer patients to SickKids’ out-patient clinics.
The online system helps automate patient referrals, notifying you when a referral has been received, whether it has been redirected and to whom, and when the patient has been booked for an appointment.
EpicCare Link is a part of the electronic Children Health Network (eCHN), which gives health-care providers quick access to a patient’s health information, laboratory results, doctor’s notes and more.
Register for EpicCare Link
To register for EpicCare Link, you must first create an eCHN account. From your eCHN account, you will be seamlessly connected to SickKids’ EpicCare Link platform.
How to register
- Register for an eCHN account by calling the eCHN Service Desk at 416-813-7998 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or by visiting the eCHN Sign Up page
- One you’ve completed your application form and submitted it, your account will be created within 24-48 hours.
- The eCHN Service Desk will send you an email confirmation that your account is ready; you must call the Service Desk directly to obtain your account credentials (no account details will be provided via email communication).
- You will be prompted to change your password and select verification questions on your first log-on to the eCHN portal; please allow about 5 minutes for the initial log-on.
- Once in the main menu, select the ‘eReferral’ option.
- Your EpicCare Link session will launch where you can begin creating a referral.
Need technical support? Contact the EpicCare Link Service Desk team.
For urgent referrals only (same day referrals): Contact a clinic directly via SickKids Locating at 416-813-1500. On weekends and after 6 p.m. on weekdays, please contact the Fellow On Call via SickKids Locating.
For international patient referrals: Contact the International Patient Program
Benefits of EpicCare Link
EpicCare Link provides the following benefits to health-care providers:
- Delegation Capability: Users will have the ability to delegate ordering duties to staff members.
- Email alerts: Users will receive an email message saying the status of the referral has changed and prompting them to log into EpicCare Link to check.
- Referral cancellation capability: Users will be able to cancel any referral placed that has not been scheduled yet.
- Support for professionals working at multiple sites: Users will be able to submit a referral in EpicCare Link regardless of where they are practicing.
Search our clinic directory to find contact information and learn more about our ambulatory clinics.
Can’t find the clinic you’re looking for? Contact SickKids Locating at 416-813-1500.
Frequently asked questions about submitting referrals
The EpicCare Link Service Desk is responsible for the management and support of clinicians in various practices outside SickKids who require to submit referrals to SickKids’ clinics. In addition to referral management, community clinicians can view SickKids patients charts via Chart Review in EpicCare Link. The Service Desk is also able to provide education and support as related to chart navigation. Looking for a specific SickKids report? Let our team help you find your way!
Support is available during business hours, Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
For medically urgent or emergent patient referrals only (same day referrals), please call SickKids Locating at 416-813-1500 and ask to speak to the appropriate service.
On weekends and after 6 p.m. on weekdays, please contact the Fellow On Call via SickKids Locating at 416-813-1500.
Once the urgent referral order has been entered into e-Referral system, EpicCare Link, the authorizing provider (physician) will be notified of the referral via an In Basket message within EpicCare Link.
Yes. All support/administrative staff will require an eCHN account in order to provide referral support within EpicCare Link. Please contact the EpicCare Link Service Desk to have this set up.
All referrals must be submitted via EpicCare Link to ensure the referral is complete and triaged appropriately.
If your office does not have internet connectivity, please contact EpicCare Link Service Desk for assistance and to discuss options for referral submission.
EpicCare Manual: How to submit referrals
A step-by-step manual is available to guide you directly in the Quick Links section on the EpicCare landing page.