Michael Casas received his Doctor of Dental Surgery from Western University in 1985. After a one-year residency at The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids), he undertook studies at the University of Toronto where he received his Diploma in Paediatric Dentistry (1988) and a Master of Science (1991). He joined the staff of SickKids in 1991 while maintaining a private specialty practice of paediatric dentistry until 2008 when he was appointed Director, Dental Clinics. In 2018, he was appointed Dentist-in-Chief. Dr. Casas is active in graduate education, research and clinical care at SickKids. Dr. Casas is also one of the Directors of the Ontario Cleft Lip and Palate / Craniofacial Dental Program.
Integrated research between Dentistry and health-care partners at SickKids is strategic for improvement of healthcare in children within the hospital, provincially, nationally and internationally. A strategic research plan was developed with the goal of improving clinically focused investigations. Current strategic areas of research include oncology, cleft/craniofacial anomalies and evaluative dental sciences.
Education and experience
- 2013: Partners in Leadership, Rotman School of Business, University of Toronto
- 2003: Fellowship in Royal College of Dentists of Canada, FRCD(C)
- 1992: Master of Science, University of Toronto
Thesis: Ultrasound investigation of ventilation/swallowing interactions during the oral phase of swallow.
- 2015: Elected Chair, Dental Directors Subcommittee, MOHLTC Cleft Lip and Palate/Craniofacial Dental Program
- 2008: Appointed Director of Clinics, Department of Dentistry, The Hospital for Sick Children
Appointed Director, Ontario Cleft Lip and Palate/Craniofacial Dental Program
- 2005: Appointed Project Investigator, Research Institute, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto
- 2005: Appointed Full Member, School of Graduate Studies, University of Toronto
- Ho J, Casas M: Temporal trends in new registrations for the Ontario Cleft Lip and Palate/Craniofacial Dental Program between 2007 and 2018, The Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal 2020 (in press)
- Wang Y, Barrett E, Sidhu, N, Casas M: Prevalence and presentation patterns of enamel hypomineralisation among paediatric hospital dental patients in Toronto, Canada European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry 2019, 21(2), 263-270
- Carillo C, Judd PL, Russell J, Casas M: Oral health of children with congenital heart disease at a pediatric health science center, Journal of the Canadian Dental Association (J Can Dent Assoc 2018;84:i7)
- Friedman M, Barrett EJ, Boutis K, Quiñonez C, Casas MJ: The Cost of Treating Caries-Related Complaints at a Children’s Hospital Emergency Department, Journal of the Canadian Dental Association (J Can Dent Assoc 2018;85:i5)
- Oliver K, Casas MJ, Judd PL, Russell J. Oral health screening practices and perceptions of North American paediatric cardiologists, Paediatrics and Child Health (doi:10.1093/pxx093)