Dr Fecteau is a graduate of McGill University where she trained in general surgery and paediatric surgery. She pursued further training in liver transplant and hepato-biliary surgery in Cincinnati and then Paris. Dr. Fecteau also obtained a Master degree in Ethics and a Certificate in Patient Safety and Quality Improvement from the University of Toronto. She is a recent graduate of the Surgical Leadership program at Harvard University.
Dr. Fecteau’s early research centered on clinical outcomes in paediatric liver transplantation especially living-related liver transplantation. Dr. Fecteau now focuses her research efforts on clinical paediatric surgery and quality and safety improvement. Her current projects try to minimize surgical site infection in gastrointestinal surgery and enhancing recovery after chest wall deformity surgery.
Education and experience
- 1984–1988: MDCM, McGill University, Montreal, QC
- 1988–1994: General Surgery specialty training, McGill University, Montreal, QC
- 1994–1996: Fellowship Pediatric Surgery, McGill University, Montreal, QC
- 1996–1997: Fellowship Liver Transplantation, University of Cincinnati Medical Center and Children’s Hospital , Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
- 1997–1998: Fellowship Hepatobiliary and Transplant Surgery, Paris-Sud University, Paul Brousse Hospital, Paris, France
- 1998–Present: Surgeon, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, ON
- 2000–2002: MHSC, Bioethics, University of Toronto, ON
- 2009–2010: certificate, Patient safety and Quality Improvement, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON
- 2018–2019: certificate, Surgical Leadership Program, Harvard medical School, Boston, USA
- 2018: Perioperative Services Leadership Award, SickKids
- Brindle M, McDiarmid C, Short K, Miller K, MacRobie A, Lam J, Brockel M, Raval M, Howlett A, Lee K, Offringa M, Wong K, de Beer D, Wester T, Skarsgaard E, Wales P, Fecteau A, Haliburton B, Goobie S, Nelson G. Consensus Guidelines for Perioperative Care in Neonatal Intestinal Surgery: Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS®) Society Recommendations. World Journal of Surgery. 2020 August; 44(8):2482-2492
- Zani-Ruttenstock E, Sozer A, O'Neill Trudeau M, Fecteau A. First National Survey on Opioids Prescribing Practices of Canadian Pediatric Surgeons. Journal of Pediatric Surgery. 2020 May; 55(5):954-958.
- Zani-Ruttenstock E, Zani A, Eaton S, Fecteau A. First Population-Based Report of Infants with Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia: 30-Day Outcomes from the American College of Surgeons National Quality Improvement Program. European Journal of Pediatric Surgery. 2019 February; 29 (1): 62-67
- Firdouse M, Wajchendler A, Koyle M, Fecteau A. Checklist to Improve Informed Consent Process in Pediatric Surgery: A Pilot Study. Journal of Pediatric Surgery. 2017 May; 52(5): 859-863.
- Diamond IR, Fecteau A, Millis JM, Losanoff JE, Ng VL, Anand R, Song C. Impact of Graft Type on Outcome in Pediatric Liver Transplantation: a Report from Studies of Pediatric Liver Transplantation (SPLIT). Annals of Surgery. 2007; 246(2):301.