Dr. Fecteau is a graduate of McGill University where she trained in general surgery and paediatric surgery. She pursued further training in liver transplant and hepato-biliary surgery in Cincinnati and Paris. Dr. Fecteau also obtained a Master degree in Ethics and a Certificate in Patient Safety and Quality Improvement from the University of Toronto. She is a recent graduate of the Surgical Leadership program at Harvard University.
Dr. Fecteau’s early research centered on clinical outcomes in paediatric liver transplantation especially living-related liver transplantation. Dr. Fecteau now focuses her research efforts on clinical paediatric surgery and quality and safety improvement. Her current projects try to minimize surgical site infection in gastrointestinal surgery and enhancing recovery after chest wall deformity surgery.
Education and experience
- 1984–1988: MDCM, McGill University, Montreal, QC
- 1988–1994: General Surgery specialty training, McGill University, Montreal, QC
- 1994–1996: Fellowship Pediatric Surgery, McGill University, Montreal, QC
- 1996–1997: Fellowship Liver Transplantation, University of Cincinnati Medical Center and Children’s Hospital , Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
- 1997–1998: Fellowship Hepatobiliary and Transplant Surgery, Paris-Sud University, Paul Brousse Hospital, Paris, France
- 1998–Present: Surgeon, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, ON
- 2000–2002: MHSC, Bioethics, University of Toronto, ON
- 2009–2010: Certificate, Patient safety and Quality Improvement, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON
- 2018–2019: Certificate, Surgical Leadership Program, Harvard medical School, Boston, USA
- 2018: Perioperative Services Leadership Award, SickKids
- Hannah C. Hansen E, Gow K, Fecteau A, Greenberg S. The Intersection of Pediatric Surgery, Climate Change, and Equity. Journal of Pediatric Surgery. Co-Author. (In Press).
- Downing L, Ramjist JK, Isaac L, Tyrell A, Tsang M, Fecteau A. Development of a Five Point Enhanced Recovery Protocol for Pectus Excavatum Surgery. Journal of Pediatric Surgery. Senior Author. (In Press)
- Lapidus-Krol E, Wolinska J, Fallon E, Kolivoshka Y, Fecteau A, I-PASS Enhances Effectiveness and Accuracy of Hand-off for Pediatric General Surgery Patients. Journal of Pediatric Surgery. 2021 November; 11.015. Senior Author.
- Fahy A.S., Mueller C, Fecteau A. Conflict Resolution and Negotiation in Pediatric Surgery. Seminars in Pediatric Surgery. 2021 October; 30(5): 151100. Senior Author.
- Zani-Ruttenstock E, Sozer A, O'Neill Trudeau M, Fecteau A. First National Survey on Opioids Prescribing Practices of Canadian Pediatric Surgeons. Journal of Pediatric Surgery. 2020 May; 55(5):954-958. Principal