Project Investigator, SickKids Research Institute
Dr. Eduardo Gus completed his medical degree at Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, and undertook General Surgery and Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery specialty training in Porto Alegre, Brazil. He is a board certified Plastic Surgeon since 2010.
Gus pursued fellowship training in adult and paediatric burns, paediatric plastic surgery, and breast reconstruction at the University of Toronto, which were followed by an appointment at the Victorian Adult Burns Service in Melbourne, Australia. He returned to the Division of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery in 2021, and his clinical practice interest encompasses acute and reconstructive burn surgery, complex wounds, scar management, laser therapy, skin lesions, and breast conditions in the paediatric population.
Gus' research interest centres on understanding burn epidemiology and informing policies for burn injury prevention. In addition, he collaborates with SickKids Burn Program's research team, which has a research focus on scar management and laser therapy. Gus has contributed to multiple book chapters and peer-reviewed publications, is an active member of numerous burn associations, and is a peer-reviewer for scientific journals in the field of paediatric burns.
Education and experience
- 2021–present: Staff Surgeon, Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Canada.
Assistant Professor, Department of Surgery, Division of Plastic, Reconstructive, and Aesthetic Surgery, University of Toronto. Project Investigator, SickKids Research Institute
- 2020: Burn Surgeon, Victorian Adult Burns Service, The Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
- 2019: Clinical Fellowship, Burns & Plastic Surgery, Victorian Adult Burns Service, The Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
- 2018–2019: Clinical Fellowship (Chief Fellow), Paediatric Plastic Surgery, Division of Plastic Surgery, University of Toronto, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Canada
- 2017–2018: Clinical Fellowship, Breast Reconstruction Program, Division of Plastic Surgery, University of Toronto, University Health Network and Women’s College Hospital, Toronto, Canada
- 2016–2017: Clinical Fellowship, Total Burn Care, Division of Plastic Surgery, University of Toronto, Ross Tilley Burn Centre, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, Canada
- 2010–2016: Community Plastic Surgeon, Porto Alegre, Brazil
- 2007–2010: Plastic Surgery Residency Training, Porto Alegre, Brazil
- 2005–2007: General Surgery Residency Training (Chief Resident), Porto Alegre, Brazil
- 1998–2004: Faculty of Medicine, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Brazil
- Gus E, Almeland SK, Barnes D, Elmasry M, Singer Y, Sjöberg F, Steinvall I, van Zuijlen P, Cleland H. Burn Unit Design-The Missing Link for Quality and Safety. J Burn Care Res. 2021 May 7;42(3):369-375. DOI: 10.1093/jbcr/irab011
- Gus E, Cleland H. Burn fluid resuscitation formulae: Concept and misconception. Injury. 2021 Apr;52(4):780-781. DOI: 10.1016/j.injury.2020.11.052
- Gus EI, Shahrokhi S, Jeschke MG. Anabolic and anticatabolic agents used in burn care: What is known and what is yet to be learned. Burns. 2020 Feb;46(1):19-32.DOI: 10.1016/j.burns.2018.03.009
- Deos MF, Arnt RA, Gus EI. Tensioned reverse abdominoplasty. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2009 Dec;124(6):2134-2141. DOI: 10.1097/PRS.0b013e3181bf8353